Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


21 January 2019

Paul Hazlewood
Ryan Longman is congratulated after scoring Albion's second goal.
  • Albion beat Manchester United 3-1 in the FA Youth Cup
  • Peter Gwargis (penalty), Ryan Longman and Haydon Roberts on target
  • Di’shon Bernard scores a consolation for United
  • The Seagulls will face Everton in the fifth round

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-18s advanced to the FA Youth Cup fifth round with a fantastic 3-1 win away at ten-time winners Manchester United at Leigh Sports Village.

Peter Gwargis’s penalty and a goal each from Ryan Longman and Haydon Roberts secured an unforgettable win over the Red Devils, who scored a consolation late on through Di’shon Bernard.
The game started in a lively fashion and United could’ve taken the lead when James Garner’s free kick cannoned off the crossbar.
But Albion were awarded a penalty in the sixth minute, as Roberts was brought down in the box and Gwargis confidently dispatched the spot-kick and sent keeper James Thompson the wrong way.
Mason Greenwood looked to restore parity to the scoreline in the hosts’ favour, but his effort went just past the left-hand post before the Seagulls netted a second in stunning fashion.
Longman was picked out on the left flank, and Albion’s number 11 sent an unstoppable right-footed strike into the far corner to double the visitors’ advantage with 14 minutes played.
Teden Mengi looked to get the hosts a foothold in the match, but he headed over from Dylan Levitt’s cross.
Albion shot-stopper Roco Rees then had to be alert to keep out Greenwood’s strike and James Garner’s shot, as United pressed for a goal.
The Seagulls still carried a threat going forward though and Jack Spong came agonisingly close to getting a third, but his glancing header from Gwargis’s set piece went wide.
United came close with a number of opportunities on the edge of the area, as James Galbraith’s shot from a central position went just past the left post.
Levitt was next to test Rees with a low shot, but the keeper was alert to the danger and confidently pushed away his shot. Garner then saw a strike go narrowly wide of the right post.
Albion had a penalty shout turned down in the opening four minutes after the re-start, when Danny Cashman was challenged inside the box, but the referee dismissed their appeals.
Cashman was involved in the thick of the action again moments later after being played through on the angle by Longman, but his shot went inches wide of the far post.
The Seagulls were awarded for their endeavour in the 55th minute with a third goal, as Longman headed Gwargis’s free kick against the bar before Roberts headed home on the rebound.
The visitors continued to look threatening going forward, and Stefan Vukoje showed some brilliant skill on the edge of the box, and his shot went just past the far post.
The Red Devils still pressed for a goal, and Roberts made a superb headed clearance on the line to deny Largie Ramazani before Greenwood’s strike hit the side netting.
Cashman continued his tireless display and ran through on goal only to be denied at the last moment by Mengi’s superb last-ditch tackle.
The Reds had the final word in an otherwise fantastic evening for the Seagulls, as Bernard tapped home on the rebound after Rees made a fine save to make the final score 3-1.
Albion's attentions will now turn to a match away at Everton in the fifth round after an unforgettable win in the north west.
ALBION: Rees; Packham (Tutt 81), Lopata, Roberts, Tanimowo; Jenks, Spong; Gwargis, Vukoje (Leonard 67), Longman; Cashman (Wilson 87).
SUBS NOT USED: Bentley (GK), Tolaj.

Advertisement block