Water is one of our most important resources, not only for drinking, but for providing washing facilities and watering our pitches. Our grounds and maintenance teams are always looking for new ways to reduce the club’s water consumption.
- Ground water at the training ground is reused via the pitch irrigation system
- Waterless urinals are installed in the toilets on public concourses
- Grounds team use an eco-friendly washdown station that captures and reuses the water
- Water provision is linked to the lighting system in kiosks and toilets to prevent unnecessary usage
With our Stadium being located on the edge of the South Downs National Park we recognise the importance of our green spaces to local biodiversity. We're continually looking at ways to encourage biodiversity on our own sites but also more widely.
- 1,000 trees and bushes have been planted at the Training Ground
- Carried out ecological assessments through an appointed ecologist to comply with the biodiversity criteria in the BREEAM building standard when building the extension at the Training Ground
- Installed bird nesting boxes on the American Express Stadium roof
- Offered members the option to plant 5 trees in Ecuador instead of receiving the membership pack
We're committed to reducing the energy the club uses to keep our buildings running. We have implemented a number of projects at the Training Ground and the Stadium to reduce our energy consumption.
- Stadium and training ground built to BREEAM very good standard
- Over 400 solar PV panels installed at the training ground
- Purchased electricity is 100% renewable backed by REGO certificates
- Monitoring of energy consumption enables identification of energy reduction measures
Carbon emissions from purchased goods and services are a big part of our overall impact and we are starting to measure this. We're committed to calculating our emissions from the goods and services we buy and working with suppliers to reduce the carbon emissions from our supply chain.
- Vegan and vegetarian options are available in all catering areas with over 30% of food offered on match days being vegan or vegetarian
- Working with Quorn to create dishes designed to be 100% carbon neutral
- Purchase bottled water from Life Water which provides 100% recyclable plastic bottles and delivers 1,000 litres of clean drinking water to a community in need for each bottle we purchase
- Our home and away Nike kits are 100% polyester, made from recycled fibres
The club’s activities generate a significant amount of waste. We have taken steps to improve recycling rates and there are recycling bins in all public concourses and staff offices. We want to eliminate single-use plastics from our operations and have already made big steps towards this.
- Implemented 100% digital ticketing for home games and are the first club to launch away tickets on mobiles
- Reduced physical season ticket cards from 24,000 to 1,200
- All physical fan communications are also 100% recyclable
- Schemes for recycling batteries, lamps, copy toner and IT equipment are in place with money raised going to the Brighton & Hove Albion Foundation
Our club’s location on the south coast and the Stadium being located outside the town center makes it more difficult to travel to than some other stadiums. Through our free travel scheme, we support both home and away fans to travel to the stadium via low-carbon transport such as public transport, cycling, and walking.
- 85% of our fans travel to home games via sustainable transport options
- The club offer free park and ride services on matchdays alongside coach travel options
- Ground staff use electric mowers to maintain pitches and electric buggies at the stadium
- Installed EV charging points at the stadium and training ground
Brighton & Hove Albion knows the importance of the people who make the club what it is. We demonstrate this on a daily basis through the club’s Team Brighton Values. The club works tirelessly to promote equality and diversity and recognise the value this brings to our club.
- As part of the ‘On the Ball’ campaign, we provide plastic-free sanitary products at both our sites for everyone attending our venues
- Staff and player's daily food options provide for all dietary needs including vegan/plant-based
- We celebrate and value the diversity brought by staff, players, supporters and those we work with in the community through our Equality and Diversity programme
The club is at the heart of the local community. Not only does this include those special moments on the pitch, but also the economic value the club brings to the city and the number of people it has supported over the years through the activities of the Brighton & Hove Foundation.
- In the past five years, Brighton & Hove Albion Foundation, has supported nearly 80,000 participants through their work in the community
- The Foundation delivered the Premier League Inspires project which encourages school children to complete a challenge around sustainability and environmental impacts
- Our Under-12s academy team undertook a beach clean in Lancing as part of the Premier League Christmas truce project