Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


5 January 2019

Sponsored by

Paul Hazlewood
Florin Andone celebrates with Albion's supporters after scoring against the Cherries.
  • Jason Steele makes his Albion debut
  • Yves Bissouma scores his first goal for the club
  • Anthony Knockaert and Florin Andone also on target
  • The Seagulls will learn their fourth-round opponents in Monday’s draw

Brighton & Hove Albion advanced to the fourth round of the Emirates FA Cup with an impressive 3-1 victory over AFC Bournemouth in an all-Premier-League tie at the Vitality Stadium.

Goals from Anthony Knockaert, Yves Bissouma and Florin Andone secured a convincing win in Dorset, with Marc Pugh scoring what proved to be a mere consolation for the hosts.

Chris Hughton made eight changes to the side that drew 2-2 with West Ham United on Wednesday, with only Shane Duffy, Dale Stephens and Jurgen Locadia retaining their places from the game in east London - Jason Steele came in to make his Albion debut.
After a cagey opening ten minutes, Bournemouth worked the first opening when Jack Simpson glanced a header wide from a short corner.
Despite Albion having the majority of possession in the opening stages, the Cherries worked another opportunity when Jordon Ibe intercepted Bissouma’s pass and weaved his way into the box, only to see his effort deflect wide off Leon Balogun.

Ibe raced through on goal again and saw his close-range strike blocked by Duffy, before Lys Mousset fired his follow-up shot over the bar.
But it was Albion that broke the deadlock in the 31st minute courtesy of Knockaert, who drilled a left-footed shot past Artur Boruc after being brilliantly teed up by Locadia inside the box.

That lead was doubled just three minutes later thanks to Bissouma, as the Malian’s superb right-footed drive from distance clipped in off the post to mark his first Albion goal.
It was nearly three when Locadia got the faintest of touches to Gaetan Bong’s in-swinging cross, but saw his header clip off the post before going wide.
But the Cherries halved the deficit in the 56th minute, as Marc Pugh took aim from the edge of the area and sent his driven strike past Steele.
The hosts were buoyed by the goal and Duffy had to be alert to block Ryan Fraser’s effort before Ibe flashed his shot across the face of goal.
Beram Kayal sought to re-establish Albion’s two-goal lead, only to see his long-distance strike go past the right post.
The Seagulls did get a third in the 64th minute thanks to Andone, who headed home from inside the six-yard box after Duffy headed Knockaert’s corner back across the penalty area.

There was a nervy moment for Albion's backline when David Brooks lined up a volley on the edge of the area, but Steele did well to push the midfielder's effort away from goal.
Pugh came close to getting his and Bournemouth’s second moments later with another strike from distance, but his curling effort went wide of the target.
Steele made a fine save to keep the scores at 3-1 late on, after superbly keeping out Steve Cook's header.
Albion held onto their two-goal cushion and sealed a place in round four, and the attention now turns to Monday's cup draw, when the Seagulls will find out their next opponent in the competition.

ALBION: Steele; Bruno (Montoya 87), Balogun, Duffy, Bong; Kayal, Bissouma, Stephens; Knockaert (Gyokeres 90), Locadia (March 73), Andone.
SUBS NOT USED: Button (GK), Burn, Propper, Murray.

Advertisement block