Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


1 December 2018

Sponsored by

Paul Hazlewood
Florin Andone roars at the Albion fans after scoring the winning goal.
  • Albion come from behind to beat Huddersfield Town
  • Zanka breaks the deadlock inside the opening minute
  • Steve Mounie sent off in the first half
  • Shane Duffy and Florin Andone score to give Albion three points
Brighton & Hove Albion recovered from a goal down to claim a hard-fought 2-1 victory over ten-man Huddersfield Town at the John Smith’s Stadium.
Zanka’s first-minute header gave the Terriers an early lead, but Albion began to assert their dominance on the contest after Steve Mounie’s sending off, and hit back with Shane Duffy’s header and Florin Andone’s first goal for the club.
Chris Hughton made three changes to the side that drew 1-1 with Leicester City the previous week, with Yves Bissouma, Solly March and Andone all coming into the side.
Albion were 1-0 down inside a minute when Zanka reacted to a misplaced clearance inside the box and rose to beat Maty Ryan to the ball with a header.
Hughton’s men came close to an equaliser when Duffy’s header from a corner was punched clear by Jonas Lossl, before Andone’s follow-up strike was blocked by Jonathan Hogg on the line.
The Seagulls looked vulnerable at the back, as Alex Pritchard latched onto a loose clearance and Duffy blocked his first attempt before his second effort went wide.
March engineered an opening for himself when he cut in off the right flank into a central position, only to see his shot blocked.
The Terriers were down to ten men with just over half an hour gone, after Mounie was shown a straight red card by Michael Oliver following a challenge on Bissouma.
Replays showed the forward’s studs were up as he contested the ball with the Malian, and Oliver had no hesitation in brandishing the red card.
The hosts almost doubled their advantage moments later when Terrence Kongolo saw his header blocked, before penalty appeals were turned down after Pritchard went down inside the area.
Aaron Mooy came close with a set-piece from distance just moments later, as Ryan made a fine two-handed stop to tip the free kick around the post.
The Seagulls created their best move of the half just shy of the interval as Andone and Bissouma linked up well to tee up Jose Izquierdo, but Lossl comfortably caught the Colombian’s strike.
Parity was restored almost on the stroke of half-time, as Duffy’s brilliant towering header from March’s perfectly-weighted cross sent Albion in level at the break.

Albion could’ve turned the game on its head inside a minute of the re-start when Lossl made two fine stops to deny both Bissouma and Pascal Gross.
Gross was involved in the thick of the action when he spotted March, and Andone fired the latter’s cross just over the bar.
Hughton’s men were enjoying a dominant spell and another chance came courtesy of Bissouma, who dragged a shot wide after Izquierdo played a ball in from the left.
The chances kept coming and Bissouma had two opportunities in quick succession - his initial free kick hit the wall before he shot over on the follow up.
The game was turned on its head in the 69th minute courtesy of Andone, as the Romanian brilliantly nodded home another perfectly-weighted March cross to score his first Premier League goal.
The hosts applied pressure in the closing stages, but Albion saw out the rest of the game with relative ease to secure three vital points and climb to 11th in the Premier League table.
ALBION: Ryan; Bruno (Balogun 78), Duffy, Dunk, Bernardo; March, Bissouma (Kayal 90+1), Propper, Izquierdo; Gross, Andone (Murray 79).
SUBS NOT USED: Steele (GK), Bong, Knockaert, Locadia.

Advertisement block