Match Reports

Albion see off West Ham in Premier League 2 thriller

Brought to you by...

Andy Moran, Luca Barrington and Jack Hinshelwood on target as the Seagulls pick up their third league win of the season.

By Luke Nicoli • 22 October 2022

By Bennett Dean
Jack Hinshelwood restored Albion's lead.

Our men's under-21s are fast becoming a team of entertainers as they picked up a thrilling 3-2 home victory against West Ham.

Shannon Ruth’s side came into the game on the back of a 3-3 draw at Manchester United, while their previous encounter in Lancing resulted in a thumping 4-0 win against Tottenham.

It was an afternoon of thrills and spills with the tone set as early as the second minute. 

Hammers forward Remy Coddington, a livewire throughout the opening half, found himself one v one with James Beadle, but the Albion keeper did well to put the ball out for a corner.

There was a further scare four minutes later when Coddington again broke free in an identical position, but the advancing Beadle nicked the ball away for another corner – with the visitors calling for a penalty.

By Bennett Dean
Shannon Ruth has enjoyed two wins and a draw in his first three games as under-21s boss.

Albion, playing their first game since that draw at United on 8 October, gradually got a foothold in the game.

Jack Hinshelwood and Luca Barrington both had shots blocked from the edge of the box, while Andrew Moran danced his way into the area, only to find his route to goal foiled.

The hosts kept searching for the breakthrough and it duly arrived on 21 minutes when Jack Spong sent a probing ball into the box. It was missed by Cam Peupion but Moran was on hand to coolly slot home from close range.

The lead lasted just three minutes, however, as another Hammers break fell to George Earthy, whose deflected effort flew into the top corner of Beadle’s net.

The game was flowing from end to end, and a frenetic period again saw Albion take the lead on 28 minutes. Casper Nilsson found himself deep in the opposition box, headed back into the danger zone, and Barrington was on hand to toe-poke home his first goal for the Seagulls.

Earthy then shot straight at Beadle, but it was Albion who came closer two minutes before the break when a deft Todd Miller pass played in Peupion. His low effort came back off the post and Miller failed to capitalise on the rebound.

There was little respite as the second half got underway and the Hammers were back on level terms just four minutes after the restart when Miller brought down the advancing Will Greenidge in the box. Referee James Durkin had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot and Pierre Ekwah sent Beadle the wrong way.

Albion missed a good opportunity to score soon after when a deep Miller cross into the box was met by Moran, but he failed to get a proper connection with his header and the ball dropped wide of the post.

By Bennett Dean
Albion celebrate Andrew Moran's goal.

West Ham then had their own spell in the ascendancy, but it was the Seagulls who netted the all-important third when sub Ben Wilson played in the advancing Moran. He, in turn, waited to release the late arriving Hinshelwood, who coolly rolled the ball home.

Wilson then had an effort saved by Krisztian Hegyi in the closing stages, while Ollie Scarles had an effort hacked away for the visitors – but it was Albion who were all smiles as they recorded their third Premier League 2 win of the season.

Albion: Beadle, Nilsson (Samuels 65), Tsoungui, McConville, Furlong, Barrington (Wilson 65), Hinshelwood (Chouchane 75), Spong, Peupion, Moran, Miller (Everitt 85).

Sub not used: Cahill.