Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


15 June 2019

Paul Hazlewood
Florin Andone celebrates his goal against AFC Bournemouth back in January.

Brighton & Hove Albion began the New Year with a trip to the London Stadium to face West Ham United in the capital.

West Ham United 2 Albion 2

Dale Stephens stylishly fired home with 56 minutes on the clock for his first-ever Premier League goal to give the Seagulls the lead – connecting sweetly with a loose ball from just inside the area from Pascal Gross’s in-swinging corner.

It took just two minutes for the advantage to be doubled, as Shane Duffy ghosted in at the far post to volley home on the turn to put Albion two ahead following another Gross set-piece from the left-hand side.

But the home side would soon have a goal back, as Marko Arnautovic held off Duffy to fire past David Button. Two minutes later the game was all square, as the Austrian once again found space inside the area to prod the ball into the top corner to mean the spoils were shared.

AFC Bournemouth 1 Albion 3

The side’s Emirates FA Cup campaign got underway with a trip along the south coast to face AFC Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium.

Anthony Knockaert fired the Seagulls ahead after a neat lay-off from Jurgen Locadia, before Yves Bissouma fired in off the post from long range just after the half-hour mark to double the advantage.

Marc Pugh halved the deficit ten minutes after the restart when he fired beyond Jason Steele in the away goal, but Florin Andone would restore Albion’s two-goal lead with just under half an hour to go, to mean it was the Seagulls who advanced to round four.

52 Button.jpg

Albion 0 Liverpool 1

Mohammed Salah’s penalty five minutes after half-time was the difference between the two teams in a tight affair on the south coast.

Gross was adjudged to have fouled the Egyptian, and he stepped up to convert the spot-kick to David Button’s right.

Locadia and Gross both went close for the Seagulls after the Merseysiders had taken the lead, but the hosts couldn’t find an equaliser, and it was the visitors who went away with the points.

30 Gross.jpg

Manchester United 2 Albion 1

Albion made the journey to Old Trafford in their penultimate game away from home of the month, but it was the home side who took the lead shortly before the half hour mark.

Gaetan Bong was adjudged to have fouled Paul Pogba inside the area, and the Frenchman stepped up to coolly convert the spot-kick and out the hosts ahead.

Marcus Rashford doubled the home side’s advantage three minutes before the interval, finishing across Button from a tight angle.

The Seagulls would however pull a goal back with 18 minutes left to play through Gross – it was the German’s first goal away from the Amex Stadium for the club, as he got on the end of Davy Propper’s stylish cross to fire into the top corner – but that is how the scores would stay.

47 Burn.jpg

Albion 0 West Brom 0

There was nothing to separate the two sides on the south coast in this Emirates FA Cup fourth round tie – Bissouma and Beram Kayal both went close to giving the home side the lead the Amex Stadium in the first half, but both were denied by Jonathan Bond in the away goal.

Viktor Gyokeres would draw Bond into another smart stop after the restart, but it ended goalless and meant that the sides would contest a replay at the Hawthorns the following month.

05 Murray.jpg

Fulham 4 Albion 2 

The final game of January was very much a game of two halves on a cold and wet night in west London at Craven Cottage.

It took Albion just three minutes to go ahead, as Glenn Murray met Martin Montoya’s cross from the right inside the area to steer the ball into the far corner and give the away side the lead.

The forward grabbed his and the side’s second on 17 minutes, latching onto Gross’s bicycle kick from inside the area to poke home and double the advantage.

Propper rattled the crossbar with a stinging effort shortly before the break after more good work from Murray around the penalty area, and the striker even saw a chance for a first half hat-trick go wide as the half ended.

Calum Chambers pulled one back for the home side with a volley from the edge of the area two minutes into the second half, before Aleksandar Mitrovic nodded home inside a crowded penalty box to bring the game level.

The Serbian striker added his second of the night on 74 minutes, before Luciano Vietto sealed the win for the home side with a fourth 11 minutes from time to complete the turnaround for the Cottagers.

Advertisement block