Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


2 February 2019

Sponsored by

Paul Hazlewood
Yves Bissouma drives forward against Watford at the Amex Stadium.
  • Albion draw 0-0 against Watford
  • The Seagulls create numerous chances throughout the game
  • Ben Foster makes a string of important saves for Watford
  • Brighton move eight points clear of the bottom three
Brighton & Hove Albion were held to a frustrating goalless draw by Watford, despite a dominant display at the Amex Stadium.
After creating numerous chances throughout the 90 minutes, Albion had to settle for a share of the spoils, as they moved one point further away from the bottom three, giving themselves an eight-point cushion.
Chris Hughton was forced to make one late change to the starting line-up with Yves Bissouma replacing Dale Stephens, which meant Dan Burn would take his place on the bench.
Albion created their first opening when Solly March reacted to Gaetan Bong’s cross and fired over the bar, but Bong couldn’t quite keep the ball in play as the linesman flagged for a goal kick.
Watford had their first chance after Troy Deeney got the better of Lewis Dunk from Daryl Janmaat’s cross, but his header went wide.
Bissouma was teed up by Glenn Murray on the edge of the area, but the former’s shot went off target, in what was a cagey opening 20 minutes.

Pascal Gross’s free kick caused issues in the Watford defence, as Dunk’s cut-back across the box was cleared away from Murray, before Gross dragged the loose ball wide.
Gross was the architect for another chance soon after, as Dunk reacted to the German’s set-piece with a header that went off target.
The German played in another set-piece that caused the Watford defence problems, and this time Davy Propper shot over at the far post after Shane Duffy went down in the box under Craig Cathcart’s challenge. Despite the Irishman’s appeals, referee Simon Hooper waved play on.
Gross whipped in another brilliant cross, this time for Jurgen Locadia, whose header was pushed away by Ben Foster.
Solly March’s corner a minute after the re-start was tipped behind by Foster, as Albion looked to make a fast start to the half.
The winger was involved in the thick of the action again when he got past his marker and looked to pick out Murray, but Janmaat cleared the danger.
Martin Montoya was next to engineer a chance when his pass split open the Watford
defence, but Murray couldn’t quite latch onto the Spaniard’s pass, before Gaetan Bong fired over.

Albion continued to press, and another opportunity presented itself to Murray, who headed over from a Gross free kick.
Gross continued to be Albion’s key protagonist going forward, and he picked out Locadia, but the Dutchman’s header was tipped over by Foster.
Duffy then attempted the spectacular with an overhead kick, but Foster made a superb save with his foot.
Locadia was picked out again, this time by Bong, but fired wide after taking the ball down with his left foot.
Watford looked to steal an unlikely three points when substitute Andre Gray weaved his way into the box, but Dunk showed tremendous bravery to make an interception with his head on the ground.
Substitute Florin Andone was next to come close for the Seagulls after being teed up by Gross, but the Romanian shot wide.
Bissouma could’ve sealed a dramatic win late on, but his fierce effort went wide and the game finished goalless.
The Seagulls will now turn their attention to the Emirates FA Cup fourth-round replay against West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns next Wednesday.
ALBION: Ryan; Montoya, Duffy, Dunk, Bong; Propper, Bissouma; March, Gross, Locadia; Murray (Andone 72).
SUBS NOT USED: Button (GK), Balogun, Burn, Knockaert, Kayal, Jahnabakhsh.

Advertisement block