Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


28 April 2019

Paul Hazlewood
Megan Connolly in action against Arsenal at the Amex Stadium.
  • Albion are beaten by Arsenal in front of a record FAWSL crowd
  • Vivianne Miedema, Katie McCabe, Beth Mead and Danielle van de Donk on target for the visitors
  • The Gunners win the FA Women’s Super League title
  • Hope Powell’s side end their season away at West Ham United on 11th May

Brighton & Hove Albion were beaten 4-0 by newly-crowned champions Arsenal in front of a record FA Women’s Super League crowd at the Amex.

A total of 5,265 spectators watched on as the Gunners claimed the victory needed to claim the FAWSL title, after goals from Vivianne Miedema, Katie McCabe, Beth Mead and Danielle van de Donk secured a 4-0 win.

The attendance coincidentally beat the previous record of 5,052 fans that watched the Gunners take on Chelsea at the Emirates in 2012.

Hope Powell made two changes to the side that lost 1-0 at Reading last Saturday, as Victoria Williams and Emily Simpkins both came into the side to replace Chloe Peplow and Ini Umotong respectively.

Arsenal took the lead in the sixth minute when Miedema took aim from the edge of the box and saw her shot crash off the underside of the crossbar before beating Marie Hourihan.


Megan Connolly drifted in a dangerous free kick towards Victoria Williams, who put Sari van Veenendaal under pressure inside the box. The Gunners shot-stopper spilled the ball before eventually claiming it at the second attempt.

Joe Montemurro’s side still carried a threat though, as Miedema’s cross from the left flashed across the face of goal before Fern Whelan blocked another effort from distance.

The Gunners doubled their lead in the 32nd minute when McCabe latched onto a ball played into the box and fired past Hourihan from close range.

Mead then took aim from the edge of the box in a bid to add a third for the visitors, but Hourihan brilliantly tipped her strike over the bar.

Chances were few and far between for Albion, as Dani Buet drifted an enticing set piece into the box, but her pass was just too strong for Aileen Whelan.


Powell reshuffled her attacking pack by bringing on Ellie Brazil for  Simpkins at the break, and the former almost had an immediate impact after firing wide from close range following a game of pinball inside the Arsenal box.

The Seagulls came out after the break with renewed vigour, as Connolly played a superb cross-field free kick into the path of Buet, who forced van Veenendaal into a fine left-handed save at her near post.

But any hopes of an Albion comeback were extinguished when Mead took aim from distance and saw her shot fly past Hourihan with 20 minutes left.

The Gunners added a fourth seven minutes later courtesy of van de Donk who fired in a clinical finish beyond Hourihan after being teed up by Kim Little inside the box.

Umotong was introduced late on for Albion and was involved in the thick of the action almost immediately after being played through by Kayleigh Green - the striker went down inside the area, but referee Lucy Oliver dismissed her appeals.

The Gunners almost added a fifth when van de Donk was played through on goal, but Hourihan made herself big to thwart the forward and the match finished 4-0.

ALBION: Hourihan; Barton, F. Whelan (Peplow 74), Williams, Gibbons; Simpkins (Brazil 46), Buet, Connolly; A.Whelan, Natkiel (Umotong 80), Green.

SUBS NOT USED: Hartley (GK), Roe, Rafferty, Nilden.

Advertisement block