Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


5 April 2019

Bennett Dean
Albion's players line up to attack a corner against Swansea City.
  • Albion share 2-2 draw with Swansea City
  • Bojan Radulovic opens the scoring at the Amex
  • Ben Cabango and Adam King put the Swans in front
  • Viktor Gyokeres nets late equaliser for the Seagulls

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-23s rescued a point in stoppage time after a frenetic end to the match at the Amex Stadium, as the Seagulls led, trailed and equalised in a 2-2 draw against Swansea City.

Bojan Radulovic’s second-half strike looked to have given Albion the victory on the south coast, but late goals from Ben Cabango and Adam King put the Swans in front heading into the closing stages of stoppage time.

But the Seagulls showed their character to fight back and force an equalising goal through Viktor Gyokeres, which meant the gap to league leaders Everton was reduced to three points.

After a lively start from the Seagulls, which saw Simon Rusk’s side close down their opponents quickly and force mistakes, Jordan Davies drilled the first attempt of the game inches wide of the bottom corner from 25 yards.

Swansea then worked the ball forward into a dangerous area and delivered a low cross for Mason Jones-Thomas to flick towards goal, but Warren O’Hora was on hand to close down the winger and block.


Soufyan Ahannach was next to try his luck for the Seagulls, but saw his powerful effort nestle into the side-netting, before Archie Davies intervened a dangerous Swansea cross to clear the danger ahead of King.

Gyokeres came within inches of breaking the deadlock when he met a corner delivery to the back post, but the Swede’s header clipped the outside of the upright and went behind for a goal kick.

It was Jones-Thomas who created his and Swansea’s second notable opportunity of the game just after the half-hour mark, but the winger’s curling effort, after cutting inside off the left flank, trickled narrowly wide of the bottom corner.

Gyokeres saw a dipping effort clear the crossbar shortly before the break, and the sides went in at half-time on level terms, with neither goalkeeper having much work to do inside the opening 45 minutes.


But Albion returned for the second half and it took just seven minutes to find a breakthrough, as Gyokeres charged down the right wing and saw his cross parried into the path of Radulovic, who converted with a powerful finish.

Gyokeres almost got his name on the scoresheet moments later, when he latched onto Ahannach’s looped pass, but Zabret pulled off a smart save to deny the Swede’s ferocious half-volley from inside the box.

There was a scare for Albion when King slipped a pass through for Jordan Garrick, but thankfully the striker’s prodded effort, which surpassed Sanchez, rolled inches wide of the bottom corner.


Albion were unable to build on their lead heading into the final ten minutes of the contest, and the visitors made Rusk’s side pay for their missed opportunities, when Cabango rose highest to head home in the 86th minute.

Moments after the fourth official signalled four minutes of additional time, the visitors stunned the Seagulls with a second goal, as King rolled into the bottom corner after Albion failed to clear.

But no sooner had Swansea gone ahead, Albion were back level, and it was Gyokeres who headed past Zabret from Cochrane’s cushioned cross to add another point towards his team’s title challenge. 

ALBION: Sanchez; A.Davies, Ostigard, O’Hora, Cochrane; Molumby, Sanders; Gyokeres, J.Davies (Moore 78), Ahannach (Collar 62); Radulovic (Longman 89).

Subs not used: Collings (GK), Roberts.

Advertisement block