Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


13 September 2018

Paul Hazlewood
Andrew Crofts celebrates against Southampton in 2009.

Monday’s game against Southampton will see Brighton & Hove Albion visit St Mary’s Stadium for a sixth time, as Chris Hughton’s side play their second Premier League match in Hampshire.

The Seagulls have played five matches at St Mary’s since it opened in 2001, and there have been a mixed bag of results since the first game which took place in 2006.

The matches have also seen the clubs compete against one another across the top three tiers of English football, with four matches being played in League One and the Championship.

Albion’s first visit ended in a 2-1 defeat in January 2006, when Dexter Blackstock’s brace sealed all three points either side of Kerry Mayo’s 21st-minute leveller.

Jake Robinson and Mark McCammon led the line for the Seagulls that day, while Mayo took up a role in central midfield alongside Richard Carpenter.

A few seasons of separation passed before the next visit in November 2009, and it would prove a memorable evening for Albion, as they claimed a 3-1 victory in front of the Sky Sports cameras.

It was Gus Poyet’s first game in charge of the Seagulls, and Glenn Murray’s brace and Andrew Crofts’s late goal ensured the points returned to Sussex.

The next meeting at St Mary’s was a goalless draw in November 2010, and despite Chris Wood stepping up to take a penalty for Albion, the Kiwi’s spot-kick was saved by Kelvin Davis.

But both sides managed to seal promotion to the Championship that season, as the Seagulls won the league title ahead of the Saints, following a season-long battle in the third tier.

A disappointing 3-0 defeat followed in November 2011, when Rickie Lambert’s second-half hat-trick, which included two penalties, left Albion travelling back to the Amex empty-handed.

But just over six years later, Albion met the Saints in the Premier League for the very-first time, and it proved a close encounter on the south coast, as neither side were able to secure maximum points.

Murray, during his second spell at the club, fired home from the penalty spot after Solly March was fouled, but Jack Stephens equalised after the break to earn a share of the spoils.

Advertisement block