Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


28 January 2018

Andrew Varley
Glenn Murray celebrates scoring against Middlesbrough.

Brighton & Hove Albion advanced to the Emirates FA Cup fifth round on Saturday afternoon courtesy of Glenn Murray's late goal.

We’ve picked out five key moments from a close game in the north east, as Chris Hughton’s men secured their place in Monday evening’s fifth round draw.


Middlesbrough started the contest brightly – with Adama Traore looking a threat down the right-hand side for the hosts.

The former Barcelona B man’s best chance of the opening period came five minutes before the break, when he wriggled his way into the area and fired a fierce drive towards goal. Tim Krul tipped the shot onto the near post and it proved to be a key stop at a vital point of the contest. 


Albion grew into the game and with just over half an hour to go at the Riverside Stadium, they were presented with three opportunities.

Beram Kayal found space outside the area and took aim from range – stinging the palms of Darren Randolph and forcing the keeper to parry the ball in the process. Jiri Skalak pounced and looked to have poked home, only for Randolph to parry once more, before Baldock’s powerful drive towards goal was blocked.


The aforementioned chances resulted in Jiri Skalak having to withdraw through injury – being replaced by Jose Izquierdo.

The Colombian midfielder had an immediate impact – cutting in and shooting from distance, as well as giving the visiting side plenty of width as the game became stretched in the latter stages.

Glenn Murray also replaced Tomer Hemed for the Seagulls in the side’s final change, and the forward had a dramatic impact.


The Seagulls pushed for a late and decisive goal, and went close to going ahead five minutes before the end. 

A corner was delivered from the right-hand side, and met by Murray at the far post. The striker’s knock back across the face of the area looked to be falling for Uwe Huenemeier, but Middlesbrough took it off the defender’s toes before he could make a decisive connection. 


Just as it looked like the sides would contest a replay at the start of February, it was the Albion who won an evenly matches contest. 

Markus Suttner picked up possession down in the left-hand corner in front of the travelling contingent and delivered another dangerous cross.

As the home defence went to clear their lines, they could only fire the ball against Murray who directed the ball into the back of the net to grab his eighth goal of the season and send the Seagulls through to the next stage of the competition. 

Advertisement block