Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


8 December 2018

Sponsored by

Paul Hazlewood
Yves Bissouma in action against Burnley at Turf Moor.
  • Burnley beat Albion 1-0 at Turf Moor
  • James Tarkowski s gives Burnley the lead
  • Jurgen Locadia comes closest to an equaliser late on
  • Albion next face Chelsea on 16th December.
Brighton & Hove Albion left Turf Moor empty-handed after a frustrating 1-0 defeat to Burnley.
James Tarkowski’s close-range strike was enough to settle a closely-fought contest in wet and windy conditions in Lancashire.

Chris Hughton made four changes to the side that beat Crystal Palace on Tuesday night, with Bruno, Leon Balogun, Anthony Knockaert and Florin Andone all coming into the side.
Both teams took a while to get into the game, with no real chances of note in the opening quarter of an hour besides a Chris Wood effort that was ruled out for offside.
Yves Bissouma then tried his luck from distance, but the Malian’s strike went wide and didn’t trouble Joe Hart in the Burnley goal.
The Clarets could’ve broken the deadlock in emphatic fashion when Johann Berg Gudmundsson picked out Robbie Brady in space, but his volley went just over the bar.
Two former Seagulls combined for the next Burnley opportunity, as Ashley Barnes teed up Wood on the angle, but the New Zealand frontman was thwarted by Ryan at his near post.
The Australian international was called into action again moments later after reacting quickly to keep out Brady’s low-driven strike from distance.

Albion struggled to create any clear-cut chances themselves in the first half, best summed up by Knockaert’s effort from distance that sailed over the bar.
Tarkowski gave the hosts the lead with 40 minutes played, turning in Jack Cork’s shot after the Albion defence failed to deal with two Burnley balls into the box.
The Seagulls looked for an immediate response when Bissouma made a driving run forward and linked up well with Knockaert, but the latter’s lay-off was fired over by Davy Propper.
Albion had Lewis Dunk to thank for keeping the deficit at one just two minutes after the re-start, as he brilliantly headed Brady’s cross away from danger with Barnes waiting to pounce.
Dunk was in action down the other end less than a minute later, but couldn’t quite latch onto Solly March’s in-swinging corner.
The Seagulls centre-back denied Barnes again after the Clarets frontman was picked out by Gudmundsson with a fine sliding block.
Burnley looked more likely to score again and came within inches of doubling their advantage after Tarkowski headed the ball narrowly wide from Ashley Westwood’s corner.

March delivered another enticing corner into the Burnley box, but the hosts cleared the danger with Bissouma waiting to strike.
Albion struggled to test Hart in the Burnley goal with the rain teeming down at Turf Moor, as Dunk headed wide from another March set-piece.
The winger continued to look lively and came within a whisker of levelling the scores, as he saw his left-footed strike go just past Hart’s left-hand upright.
Two substitutes combined to create one of Albion’s best chances of the game, after Glenn Murray floated in a perfectly-weighted cross towards Jurgen Locadia, but the Dutchman headed over after ghosting into the box unmarked.

A string of corners came for the Seagulls in stoppage time, with Balogun going closest to claiming an equaliser after seeing his header deflect just wide, but the Clarets held on to inflict defeat on Hughton's side.
ALBION: Ryan; Bruno, Dunk, Balogun, Bernardo; Knockaert (Locadia 63), Propper, Bissouma, March; Gross (Stephens 79); Andone (Murray 63).
SUBS NOT USED: Steele (GK), White, Bong, Kayal.

Advertisement block