Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


21 August 2018

Bennett Dean
Anthony Knockaert and Shane Duffy celebrate against Manchester United.

Brighton & Hove Albion picked up their first three points of the season on Sunday afternoon with a fantastic 3-2 win against Manchester United at the Amex. Here are some of the key moments from the win.

Debut delight:

Martin Montoya came straight into the starting line-up to make his Albion debut and was soon joined by Leon Balogun, who replaced the injured Lewis Dunk after just 20 minutes. The summer signings were excellent from start to finish, showing composure alongside their new team-mates. Balogun kept United's attacking threat at bay for large periods, while Montoya showed his experience throughout a high-pressured encounter.

Murray’s opener:

The Seagulls were rewarded for their positive start to the game by opening the scoring in the 25th minute. Gaetan Bong played it down the line to Solly March, who nutmegged Eric Bailly and delivered a low cross into Glenn Murray who cleverly flicked the ball past David De Gea, making that his first goal of the season.

Duffy doubles:

Just two minutes after Murray opened the scoring, defender Shane Duffy doubled Albion’s lead. After United unconvincingly cleared Pascal Gross's corner, the German delivered again and Anthony Knockaert helped the ball into Duffy's feet. The Irishman took a touch to steady himself before rolling it past De Gea with his weaker foot. The goal gave the Seagulls a crucial two-goal cushion and sent the home fans wild.

Lukaku’s lifeline:

In search of a route back into the match, Romelu Lukaku provided what could have been a lifeline for the visitors shortly after the half-hour mark. Meeting Luke Shaw's deflected ball with a header past Mathew Ryan, the Belgian striker’s effort gave United hope for a short while.

Pivotal penalty:

With the shooting angle narrowing for Gross, Eric Bailly made a rash decision and scythed down the German, which led to the Seagulls being awarded a vital penalty shortly before the break. The penalty turned out to be the real turning point in the match, as United failed to cancel out Albion's two-goal lead.

Advertisement block