Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


23 September 2017

Paul Hazlewood
Tom McGill in action for Albion's under-18s.

After an impressive start to the campaign, Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-18s were dealt their first defeat of the season, as they lost 3-0 to Fulham at Motspur Park this afternoon.

The Cottagers were also unbeaten going into the game, and they extended their streak thanks to Timmy Abraham’s brace and Djed Spence’s late goal in south-west London.

Under-18s coach Ian Buckman made three changes to the side that beat Newcastle United last time out, with Cameron Tutt, Charlie Ferguson and Isaac Hutchinson coming into the team.

The hosts began the game on the front foot, with Nicolas Santos-Clase testing Tom McGill early on, before Albion had a penalty appeal turned down, as Hamish Morrison was brought down just outside the box.

The deadlock was broken in the 20th minute through Abraham, as the Young Whites attacker drove forward and found the top corner from a tight angle.

The Seagulls improved towards the end of the half and almost hit back when Ryan Longman’s shot was deflected onto the crossbar, before Danny Cashman’s follow-up header was ruled out for offside.

Ferguson almost pulled his team level before the break, as he arrived in the box to meet Morrison’s accurate cross, but the midfielder’s header was comfortably saved by Fulham shot-stopper Luca Ashby-Hammond.

Tyrese Fornah had two good opportunities at the beginning of the second half, with his first effort being blocked, before Ashby-Hammond pulled off a fine save from the attacker’s 20-yard free-kick.

But against the run of play, Abraham doubled the home side’s lead in the 49th minute with his second of the game, as he latched onto Sonny Hilton’s cutback and dispatched from close range.

McGill was called into action towards the end of the game, saving well from Cameron Thompson after keeping out a 25-yard effort from Jayden Harris.

Two chances fell to Hutchinson late on, with his first effort going narrowly wide of the post, before his close-range shot from Longman’s cross trickled into Ashby-Hammond’s hands.

But the Cottagers wrapped things up in stoppage time, as Spence darted forward and found the bottom corner from outside the penalty area - to inflict Albion’s first defeat of the season.

ALBION: McGill; Morrison, Shihab, Clark-Eden (Weaire 61), Tutt (Ljubicic 73); Ferguson, Cochrane; Longman, Fornah (Ibeh 67), Hutchinson; Cashman.

Subs not used: Bentley (GK).

Advertisement block