Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


25 November 2017

Paul Hazlewood
Dale Stephens in action.
  • Albion are narrowly beaten at Old Trafford
  • A Lewis Dunk own goal is the only decisive goal of the game
  • The Seagulls pushed hard for a late goal against the hosts
  • Chris Hughton's team are next in action against Crystal Palace

Brighton & Hove Albion’s five-match unbeaten run came to end after a 1-0 defeat to Manchester United, despite a brave and impressive performance at Old Trafford.

The result was Albion’s fifth defeat of the season, with Chris Hughton’s men unlucky not to claim a share of the spoils, after a composed display in front of 75,108 supporters in the north west.

Hughton made one change to the side that drew 2-2 with Stoke City on Monday night, as Solly March replaced Jose Izquierdo on the flank.

United created the first opporunity of the game when Romelu Lukaku was played in on the edge of the box, but the striker fired wide from the edge of the box.

Pascal Gross then played a lovely through ball to split the United defence in half, but Anthony Knockaert’s subsequent cross flashed across the face of goal.

Gross had a chance to break the deadlock himself, but the German’s shot was comfortably saved by David De Gea.

Anthony Martial showed some neat footwork to weave his way into a shooting position, and took a tumble inside the box, but referee Neil Swarbrick waved on play.

United showed their threat going forward when Juan Mata delivered an enticing cross into the box, which narrowly missed Lukaku.

Valencia then delivered a ball into the box with the Belgian waiting to pounce again, but the latter shot wide.

Hughton’s men could’ve easily taken the lead when the impressive Gross drilled a brilliant set-piece into the box that was flicked on by Shane Duffy, but Glenn Murray narrowly failed to make a connection at the far post.

Mathew Ryan then made a magnificent double save to deny Paul Pogba and Lukaku right before the break from Marcus Rashford’s ball from the right.

Albion started the second half on a positive note when Gross was allowed to do a Cruyff turn inside the box, but Murray was unable to connect with the midfielder’s ball.

Ashley Young had a chance to give United the lead down the other end, but his angled attempt went just wide.

But Jose Mourinho’s men took the lead with 66 minutes on the clock through Young, who latched onto a loose ball on the edge of the box and saw his shot take a nick off Lewis Dunk before beating Mathew Ryan.

Dunk then broke out of defence and played a one-two with Murray, as Albion went in search of an equaliser, but the defender's rushed shot was blocked in front of goal.

Bruno was next to surge forward after receiving a ball down the line from Knockaert, but the Spaniard's dangerous ball across the face of goal was unable to find an Albion shirt.

The Seagulls huffed and puffed in the closing stages but couldn't quite find a breakthrough of their own, but Hughton's team can take great confidence from their performance, ahead of Tuesday's meeting with Crystal Palace.

ALBION: Ryan; Bruno, Duffy, Dunk, Bong; Knockaert, Propper Stephens, March (Izquierdo 75); Gross (Brown 88); Murray (Hemed 75).

SUBS NOT USED:  Krul (GK), Goldson, Kayal, Schelotto.

Advertisement block