Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 November 2017

Paul Hazlewood
Kirsty Barton scores the winner at Culver Road.
  • Albion secure a third FA WSL2 victory
  • Kirsty Barton scores the winning goal
  • Hope Powell’s team keep a second clean sheet of the campaign
  • The Seagulls next play Bristol City in December

Brighton & Hove Albion recorded their third victory in the FA Women’s Super League 2 as they beat Sheffield FC Ladies 1-0 at Culver Road this afternoon.

A goal from midfielder Kirsty Barton secured all three points for Albion in a tightly-contested match, which also saw Hope Powell’s team pick up a second clean sheet of the season.

The match started brightly for the home side as Jenna Legg drove into the box to create the first chance of the match. However, her driven cross five minutes into the match evaded the on-rushing Ini Umotong, who was looking to add another goal to her season tally.

Umotong was at the heart of all things good for the Seagulls, as the Nigerian striker looked to be pulled down inside the box, but the referee waved away Albion's appeals.

Albion had a great chance to break the deadlock after 19 minutes, as Fliss Gibbons whipped a corner across the face of goal to find Umotong, but the forward's scuffed effort hit the foot of the Sheffield post.

Shortly before the interval, Barton latched onto a fine pass inside from Aileen Whelan, but the midfielder’s effort sailed straight into the hands of Sheffield goalkeeper Danielle Gibbons, who dived to claim the ball.

Sheffield’s brightest spark came from right-winger Rhema Lord-Mears, who looked dangerous and tricky throughout. Her well-struck effort from outside the box struck the post, as the visitors came close to taking the lead.

Albion came out looking positive in the second half and Danielle Buet went close with a free-kick, as she stepped up and fired the set-piece narrowly wide of the target.

Umotong again found herself in front of goal midway through the second half after gambling on a long ball forward, but the striker’s shot was saved.

But Albion got the reward for their second-half pressure as they took the lead on 73 minutes. Sophie Perry’s delightful cross from the left was met by Barton who turned home the delivery to give Albion a deserved lead.

Despite constant pressure in the closing stages, Albion were unable to claim a second goal but still secured all three points on the south coast. Attention now turns to their fixture against Bristol City in December.

ALBION: Gillett; Roe, F.Whelan, Ashton-Jones (Ritchie 71), Perry; Buet, Barton, Legg (Thomas 78), Gibbons, A.Whelan; Umotong.

SUBS NOT USED: Wilson (GK), Rafferty.

Advertisement block