Albion's under-18s were edged out in a south coast derby.
- Albion lose their first fixture in the final stage of the U18 Premier League
- Goals from Yan Valery and Jonathan Afolabi give Southampton the win
- Brighton lose 2-0 away at Saints for the second time this season
- Ian Buckman’s side next face West Bromwich Albion on 1st April
Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-18s were beaten 2-0 by Southampton on their Staplewood training complex on Saturday.
A goal in each half from Yan Valery and Jonathan Afolabi gave Saints all three points in the first fixture of the final stage of the U18 Premier League.
The hosts took the lead with just under a quarter of an hour gone, as Valery made a run down the right-hand side and slotted the ball in from close range beyond Albion keeper Robert Sanchez.
LATEST NEWS FROM SEAGULLS.CO.UK
REPORT: ALBION 3 DERBY 0
- BRUNO'S LOVE FOR BRIGHTON
- ALBION BOOST DEFENSIVE OPTIONS
- 2017-18 SEASON-TICKET RENEWAL INFORMATION
- KNOCKAERT SIGNS CONTRACT EXTENSION
The Hampshire side had a golden opportunity to double their lead five minutes after the re-start, as Harlem Hale was found in plenty of space at the far post but couldn’t divert his shot goalwards.
Sanchez kept Albion in the game with two terrific saves to keep out Will Smallbone’s initial shot, before Michael Obafemi was denied on the rebound.
He was called into action again to keep out Thomas O’Connor’s free- kick, before blocking Hale’s strike.
Ian Buckman’s side had a chance to claim a share of the spoils in the closing stages, after Stefan Ljubicic latched onto the ball at the far post, but couldn’t direct his header goalwards.
But the hosts wrapped up the game in the 87th minute, when Afolabi met a corner from Jake Vokins at the far post to give Southampton a 2-0 win.
ALBION: Sanchez; Moore, Barker, Rolph (Shihab 88), Cochrane; Morrison (Ibeh 63), Davies, Ferguson, Hutchinson (Fornah 63); Ljubicic, Garcia.
SUBS NOT USED: Bentley (GK), Tutt.