Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 March 2017


  • Chris Wood scores both goals for Leeds
  • Albion lose their seventh league game of the season
  • The Seagulls remain second, one point adrift of Newcastle United
  • Brighton’s six-match winning streak over Leeds comes to an end

Brighton & Hove Albion missed out on the chance to go top of the Sky Bet Championship following a 2-0 defeat to Leeds United at Elland Road.

Chris Wood’s brace condemned Albion to a seventh league defeat of the season, on a weekend where Newcastle United and Huddersfield Town both dropped points in the race for automatic promotion.

Chris Hughton made one change to the side that beat Derby County eight days ago, as Fikayo Tomori replaced the injured Bruno.

The match began rather cagily with no clear-cut chances for either side inside the opening quarter of an hour.

Wood put the ball in the back of the net with 20 minutes on the clock, but referee Lee Mason ruled out the strike following Alfonso Pedraza’s pass.

A corner from Pablo Hernandez was met by Kyle Bartley at the far post, but his header back across goal drifted wide.

The hosts stepped up the pressure on Albion’s goal, as Uwe Huenemeier headed Hernandez’s cross behind, before Wood somehow failed to make contact with the ball from the subsequent corner.

Beram Kayal did brilliantly to engineer a chance for the Seagulls when his low cross was backheeled by Sam Baldock and took a nick off Liam Cooper, which forced Leeds keeper Rob Green into a fine one-handed reaction save.

The second-half began in the same fashion to the first with little in the way of goalscoring action, with the only chance of note coming from Hadi Sacko whose effort went wide.

Kayal then tried his luck from distance from 25 yards out, but Green remained untroubled in the Leeds goal.

Wood almost took advantage of a lapse of concentration in the Brighton defence, but his close-range shot was met with a comfortable save from David Stockdale.

But the league’s top scorer did break the deadlock with 63 minutes on the clock, when he met Charlie Taylor’s left-footed cross with a fine header that beat Stockdale at his near post.

Albion came close to levelling the scores almost immediately as Glenn Murray flicked on Anthony Knockaert’s corner, but Baldock couldn’t reach the ball at the far post.

The Frenchman played in another delivery that caused the Leeds defence problems, when his corner narrowly eluded Lewis Dunk in the area.

Knockaert surged forward down the right-hand side moments later and opted his low strike was met with a comfortable save by Green.

Murray was played through down the left-hand side, but dragged his shot wide with an angled attempt.

Murray was involved in the thick of the action again when was found by Knockaert inside the box, and Green palmed away his fierce strike.

Solly March was brought on in place of Jiri Skalak and made an instant impact on the left flank. He teed up Kayal in the box, but the Israeli saw his attempt blocked.

The hosts wrapped up the three points in the 85th minute when Tomori was penalised for bringing down Souleymane Doukara in the box, and Wood scored from the resulting spot-kick to make it 2-0.

Advertisement block