Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


22 July 2017

Bennett Dean
Tomer Hemed celebrates with Pascal Gross
  • Albion make it two wins from two games in pre-season
  • Mathew Ryan makes his Brighton debut
  • Solly March, Pascal Gross, Tomer Hemed, Jamie Murphy, Connor Goldson and Glenn Murray (penalty) all on target
  • The Seagulls are next in action away at Southend on Tuesday

Brighton & Hove Albion continued their preparations for the new season with an emphatic 6-0 victory over Crawley Town at the Stadium.

A goal each from Solly March, Pascal Gross, Tomer Hemed, Jamie Murphy, Connor Goldson and a penalty from Glenn Murray overwhelmed Albion's League Two opponents in a commanding display.

The Seagulls created their first chance inside the opening two minutes as March’s cross was cleared, before Shane Duffy headed wide from the subsequent corner.

The deadlock was broken with just four minutes on the clock when Beram Kayal took advantage of some slack Crawley defending and laid the ball on a plate for March to slot home.

March was getting a lot of joy down the left-hand side, and was allowed to weave his way inside the box before seeing his shot blocked.

Kayal was next to try his luck after he latched onto Gross’s cut-back, but his first-time effort was blocked and then saved by Reds keeper Glenn Morris.

Hughton’s men continued to dominate and this time Oliver Norwood took advantage of some space, and but his strike rose over the crossbar.

Hemed then drove through the Crawley defence and linked up well with Markus Suttner, but lost his footing as he was about to pull the trigger.

March had a chance to score an almost identical goal after being played in by Gross, but fired over on this occasion.

Two of Albion’s summer signings combined for the second goal, as Suttner crossed towards Gross, who fired an unstoppable drive beyond Morris with 30 minutes played.

It was 3-0 on 38 minutes when March’s delightful chip rebounded off the post, and Hemed slotted the rebound into an empty net.

Brighton were in cruise control and added a fourth soon after when Lewis Dunk played in Murphy, and the Scot produced a brilliant finish beyond Morris.

Hughton made ten changes at the break, with only Duffy remaining from the first-half line-up.

Crawley made a brighter start to the second half and were awarded a free-kick in a promising position, but Billy Clifford’s set-piece didn’t trouble Niki Maenpaa.

Albion then extended their lead through Goldson’s firm header from Jiri Skalak’s cross with 67 minutes gone.

Richie Towell then drove into space, and the Irishman’s fierce strike forced a strong two-handed stop from Morris.

Albion then made it six on 77 minutes when Kaby Djalo brought down Murray, and the Albion striker made no mistake with his spot-kick.

Advertisement block