Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


25 January 2017

Albion will meet Crowborough Athletic in the next round.

Rowlatt 62
Pamment 80

Cardwell 35
Sanders 42
Tilley pen 50, 90
J.Davies 74

  • Albion overcame Pagham with a 5-2 victory in the Parafix Sussex Senior Cup
  • Harry Cardwell and Max Sanders opened the scoring
  • James Tilley (2) and Jordan Davies added second-half goals
  • The Seagulls will meet Crowborough Athletic in the quarter finals

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-23s progressed to the quarter finals of the Parafix Sussex Senior Cup with an entertaining 5-2 victory over Pagham this evening.

New signings Harry Cardwell and Jordan Davies scored their first goals for the club, alongside James Tilley’s second-half brace and Max Sanders’s header before the break, but Pagham twice pulled goals back through Lloyd Rowlatt and Keiron Pamment.

Simon Rusk made a host of changes for the visit to Nyetimber Lane, with Billy Collings, Davies and Cardwell all making their first starts for the club.

The hosts had the first opportunity of the game when Rowlatt pounced on an under-hit clearance from Collings, but the midfielder’s fierce drive from outside the box was blocked.

Davies saw his shot from 25 yards saved by Pagham goalkeeper James Binfield, before Cardwell rounded the shot-stopper but delayed his shot, which enabled a defender to block when the goal was gaping.

Sanders then broke forward and curled an effort wide of the target from outside the penalty area, and following some classy footwork inside the box by Davies, the winger smashed the post with a close-range piledriver.

It was Davies again who came close to breaking the deadlock, but his free kick, which was heading for the top corner, was brilliantly saved by Binfield, before Cardwell’s bullet header from close range was denied.

Davies was proving the danger man for Albion, and the winger had another powerful attempt blocked in front of goal, moments before Collings did well to tip Ryan Cox’s bending effort around the post.

Albion found a breakthrough in the 35th minutes and it was Cardwell who opened the scoring on his debut, as Dylan Barnett’s half-cleared cross rebounded off the incoming striker’s head and into the back of the net.

Sanders was on hand to double Albion’s lead on 42 minutes, as his controlled header from David Ajiboye’s cross hit the underside of the crossbar and landed over the goal line, giving the Seagulls a two-goal advantage before the break.

It took the Seagulls just five minutes to extend their lead after the re-start, as Barnett was brought down inside the box for a penalty, and Tilley confidently stepped up to find the bottom corner in the 50th minute.

Pagham enjoyed a brief spell of possession after Albion’s third goal and capitalised in the 62nd minute through Rowlatt, as the midfielder found the top corner with an auditions effort from 25 yards to pull a goal back.

On 74 minutes, Albion’s three-goal cushion was restored and Davies finally got his reward after numerous efforts on target, this time firing into the bottom corner from the edge of the penalty area to notch his first goal for the club.

The hosts refused to go down without a fight and pulled another goal back in the 80th minute, as Pamment forced the ball over the line after Collings and Ben Barclay failed to clear James Thurgar’s low cross.

But it was Albion who had the final say, when Tilley found the bottom corner from Barnett’s short pass to secure his second of the game in the 90th minute, as the Seagulls fired their way into the next round of the competition.

ALBION: Collings; A.Davies (Hornby-Forbes 66), Hall, Barclay, Barnett; Ajiboye (Cadman 60), Sanders (Mandroiu 71), Collar, J.Davies; Tilley; Cardwell.

SUBS NOT USED: McGill (GK), Cox.

Advertisement block