Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


13 January 2017

Albion's under-18s reach the FA Youth Cup fifth round.

Connolly 72
Cashman 77


  • Albion seal their place in the fifth round of the FA Youth Cup
  • Aaron Connolly fired the Seagulls in front
  • Danny Cashman added a second goal late on
  • The Seagulls will travel to Stoke City in the next round

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-18s progressed to the fifth round of the FA Youth Cup with a convincing 2-0 victory over Cambridge United at the Amex this evening.

The Seagulls had to remain patient but got their rewards in the second half, as Aaron Connolly opened the scoring with a curling effort, before Danny Cashman completed the scoring after coming off the bench.

Ian Buckman made three changes to the starting line-up that beat Arsenal 2-1 on Saturday, with Jayson Molumby, Archie Davies and Danny Mandroiu all coming back into the side.

Albion had the first opportunity of the game when Connolly tussled for the ball inside the penalty area and teed up Luis Garcia, but the Spaniard’s effort sailed over the crossbar.

Max Sanders was next to try his luck from the edge of the box, after working himself space with some clever movement, but his tame effort flew straight into the hands of Cambridge goalkeeper Finley Iron.

Mandroiu had two attempts in quick succession as he shot straight at Iron from 20 yards, before fizzing a low-driven effort wide of the target from long distance.

The visitors struggled to keep hold of possession and Albion continued to apply pressure going forward, as Davies drilled a low shot narrowly wide of Iron’s right-hand upright.

Davies then volleyed wide from Mandroiu’s corner to the front post, before the Irishman had a shot of his own, but his effort rose over the crossbar from 25 yards.

The teams reappeared after the break and once again it was Mandroiu who broke forward for Albion, but his header from David Ajiboye’s precise cross went over.

The U’s came close to breaking the deadlock with their first effort on goal, but Harry Darling’s close-range effort came back off Albion goalkeeper Tom McGill’s right-hand upright.

Mandroiu had another headed opportunity but this time Davies was the provider, however the Irishman’s close-range effort drew the same result, as the ball sailed comfortably over the crossbar.

The Seagulls took the lead on 72 minutes when substitute Cashman played a short pass inside for Connolly, and the striker curled a wonderful effort beyond Iron into the far corner.

Mandroiu looked to quickly double Albion’s advantage, but his stinging drive from just outside the penalty area was comfortably gathered by Iron.

But Albion did get their second goal on 77 minutes and this time Cashman was the goalscorer, as he broke into the penalty area and found the back of the net with a first-time finish, following a fine cross from Davies out wide.

Mandroiu then almost caught Iron off-guard at his front post as the attacking midfielder whipped in a quick free-kick, but his curling effort fell narrowly wide of the target.

Cambridge went in search of a consolation but struggled to create a clear-cut opportunity inside the final third, and Albion comfortably booked their place in the fifth round.

ALBION: McGill; Davies, Barker, Moore, O’Sullivan; Ajiboye (Cochrane 90), Molumby, Sanders, Garcia (Cashman 64); Mandroiu; Connolly.

SUBS NOT USED: Bentley (GK), Hutchinson, Ljubicic.

Advertisement block