Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


20 February 2017

Albion's under-23s were unable to recover from conceding two early goals.

Wilson 2
Nazon 18

Bjordal 83

  • Albion are narrowly beaten 2-1 by Wolverhampton Wanderers
  • Donavan Wilson and Duckens Nazon score early goals for home side
  • Henrik Bjordal hit back with late strike for the Albion
  • The Seagulls take on West Ham United in the Premier League Cup next Monday

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-23s were beaten 2-1 in a closely-contested game against Wolverhampton Wanderers this evening, as they were made to pay for a slow start at AFC Telford’s New Bucks Head stadium.

Two early goals from Wolves strike pairing Donavan Wilson and Duckens Nazon gave Albion a mountain to climb, and despite Henrik Bjordal’s late strike, Wolves protected their slender advantage to take all three points.

Bjordal then found himself in front of goal as he stretched to get on the end of George Cox’s delivery from the left wing, but the Norwegian failed to make clean contact from close range shortly before the break.

James Tilley had a great opportunity to peg his team back following Bjordal’s perfectly-weighted through-ball, but the striker’s low-driven effort zipped narrowly wide of Burgoyne’s left-hand upright.

Jordan Davies tried halving the deficit up the other end, but Wolves goalkeeper Harry Burgoyne saved well to his right-hand side, before Sanchez saved again from Wilson as the game swung from end to end.

Morgan Gibbs-White went close with a curling effort from 25 yards, but Wolves doubled their advantage on their next surge forward, as Nazon drove at Albion’s defence and drilled a low shot into the bottom corner on 18 minutes.

Albion goalkeeper Robert Sanchez was then called upon to prevent his team going further behind early on, as the Spaniard got down well to save a fierce shot from Wilson, before Ben White cleared with a last-ditch tackle.

The hosts were quick out of the blocks and made Albion pay after just two minutes, as Wilson was quickest to react to Nicu Carnat’s low cross and tapped home at the front post to break the deadlock.

The Seagulls made numerous changes to the starting line-up that beat Crowborough Athletic, as they returned to a similar side that overcame Leicester City in the Premier League Cup.

Tilley fired into the side-netting after the re-start from a tight angle, before Dan Armstrong cut inside for Wolves and drilled a low shot marginally wide of the target from inside the penalty area.

Sanchez was on hand to save well with his feet from Dominic Iorfa’s right-footed strike, following Armstrong’s corner that rattled around inside Albion’s penalty area.

Wolves substitute Joe Delacoe helped on a cross from the left wing, but the striker’s nonchalant effort from close range dropped narrowly wide of Sanchez’s left-hand upright.

Albion pulled a goal back in the 83rd minute and it was Bjordal who found the back of the net from a tight angle, as he side-footed home past Burgoyne from substitute Connor Tighe’s ball across the face of goal.

The Seagulls piled on the pressure in the closing stages as they got on top of their opponents, but Wolves held strong and secured a narrow victory on home soil.

ALBION: Sanchez; Collar, Dallison, White, Cox; Hornby-Forbes, Molumby, Barclay, J.Davies (Tighe 80); Tilley; Bjordal.

SUBS NOT USED: Collings (GK), Hall, Cadman, Barnett.

Advertisement block