Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


15 February 2017

Tom Cadman and Harry Cardwell fired Albion's under-23s into the next round.


Cadman 22
Cardwell 85

  • Albion reach the last four of the Parafix Sussex Senior Cup
  • Tom Cadman breaks the deadlock for the Seagulls
  • Harry Cardwell adds a second goal late on
  • Connor Tighe and David Ajiboye both hit the goal frame

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-23s progressed to the semi final of the Parafix Sussex Senior Cup with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Crowborough Athletic this evening.

Crowborough goalkeeper Dan Ellis was on hand to parry Cardwell’s bullet header away from goal at point-blank range, before Sam Crabb’s low shot lacked the pace and trickled into the hands of Billy Collings before the break.

But Albion deservedly took the lead on 22 minutes when Cadman broke forward, received a pass inside from Barnett and fired into the roof of the net from a tight angle to open the scoring.

Connor Tighe came close to giving the Seagulls the lead midway through the first half, but the forward’s powerful strike from just outside the box crashed back off the crossbar from Barnett’s short free kick.

Tom Dallison glanced a header wide of the target from Dylan Barnett’s corner to the front post, before Lee Carey recorded Crowborough’s opening effort, but his ambitious strike from 25 yards sailed narrowly wide.

Albion’s first opportunity fell to Ajiboye inside the penalty area, but the winger could only head over the crossbar from Connor Tighe’s chipped cross from the byline.

Simon Rusk made numerous changes for the game against the Crows, with Owen Moore, David Ajiboye and Archie Davies all coming into the starting line-up from the under-18s.

Tom Cadman opened the scoring from a tight angle midway through the opening half, before Harry Cardwell fired home in the closing stages to secure victory for the Seagulls.

Ajiboye almost doubled Albion’s lead shortly after the re-start, as the winger struck the post from close range, following another fine delivery from Barnett after he raced to the byline.

Barnett then had a chance of his own, as he received the ball inside the penalty area from substitute Henrik Bjordal, but the Irishman’s low-driven effort rolled wide of the target.

Albion had the ball in the back of the net for a second time soon after the hour mark, but the linesman raised his flag for an offside on Ben Barclay, who turned the ball into the danger zone at the back post.

Ellis was then forced into making two superb saves to deny Bjordal and Barnett in quick succession, as the Albion pair bent powerful shots towards goal from inside the box.

The Crows pressed for an equaliser as Carey whipped a free kick on target from the corner of the box, but Collings gathered the ball with ease, before Bjordal swung a shot marginally wide of the post.

But Albion secured the two-goal cushion they had been working towards in the 85th minute, as Cardwell received the ball from Bjordal inside the box and drilled a ferocious shot past Ellis to ease the pressure.

Cardwell was denied a late brace by Jason Barton in the closing stages, as the defender pulled off a superb block in front of goal, but Albion saw out the remaining minutes to reach the final four of the competition.

ALBION: Collings; Moore, Hall, Dallison (Barker 64), Cadman; Ajiboye (O’Sullivan 87), Barclay, A.Davies, Barnett; Tighe (Bjordal 46), Cardwell.

SUBS NOT USED: Sanchez (GK), Garcia.

Advertisement block