Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


27 February 2017

Albion's under-23s qualified as group winners in the Premier League Cup.

Bjordal 17
Tilley 41 pen
Connolly 53


  • Albion secure top spot in Group E in the Premier League Cup
  • Henrik Bjordal and James Tilley (pen) open the scoring
  • Aaron Connolly adds third goal in second half
  • The Seagulls seal second successive 3-0 win over West Ham United

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-23s secured top spot in Group E in the Premier League Cup with a commanding 3-0 victory over West Ham United at the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre today.
Henrik Bjordal opened the scoring with a low finish into the bottom corner before James Tilley added another from the penalty spot, and Aaron Connolly completed the scoring with a close-range volley in the second half.
Liam Rosenior came into the side to make his fifth appearance for the under-23s, with Dessie Hutchinson and under-18 striker Aaron Connolly also returning.
Domingos Quina had the first opportunity for the visitors as he drove towards the edge of Albion’s penalty area, but the midfielder’s powerful shot sailed over the crossbar.
The Seagulls took the lead on 17 minutes with their first notable effort on goal, as Bjordal spun inside the box and fired into the bottom corner, after the Hammers failed to clear Tyler Hornby-Forbes’ dangerous cross.
The Norwegian took inspiration from breaking the deadlock and went in search of another soon afterwards, but his left-footed strike nestled into the side-netting after showing good footwork inside the box.
Albion goalkeeper Robert Sanchez did well to get his body behind Noha Sylvestre's stinging effort from long distance, before Tilley cut inside and fired narrowly wide of the target up the other end.
Connolly looked destined to double Albion’s lead when he found himself through on goal from Hornby-Forbes’ pass inside, but Hammers goalkeeper Raphael Spiegel denied the striker with a fine save.
Hornby-Forbes continued to look positive on the ball as he drove forward and fired narrowly wide of the target from distance, before Sanchez got down well to claim Quina’s low effort to the centre of goal.
Albion were handed a fine opportunity to double their advantage when George Cox was pulled down inside the box for a penalty, and Tilley confidently stepped up to slot home in the 41st minute.

The lead was further extended shortly after the break when Connolly volleyed past Spiegel from close range after running onto Cox’s brilliant delivery from the left wing.
Ashley Fletcher headed wide of the target from Quina’s free-kick delivery to the back post, before Cox’s ambitious effort from 25 yards sailed over the crossbar.
James Tilley came close to notching his second goal of the game when he waited for the ball to drop out the sky and volleyed at goal, but his effort was blocked on the line.
Jayson Molumby curled wide of the target from 20 yards after running onto a loose ball, before Bjordal drilled a low shot into the hands of Spiegel.
Albion finished the game off in a professional manner, with Spiegel tipping Dessie Hutchinson’s 20-yard attempt over the crossbar, but the score remained 3-0 and Albion top the group.
ALBION: Sanchez; Rosenior, Dallison, White, Cox; Hornby-Forbes (J. Davies 78), Molumby, Hutchinson, Tilley; Bjordal (Collar 82), Connolly.
SUBS NOT USED: Collings (GK), Barclay, Hall.

Advertisement block