Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


13 February 2017

Albion's under-23s recorded a convincing win over the Foxes.

Bjordal 17
Tilley 85


  • Albion beat Leicester City to reach the last 16 of the Premier League Cup
  • Henrik Bjordal and James Tilley score either side of half-time
  • Liam Rosenior and Richie Towell both complete 90 minutes
  • The Seagulls need just one point to secure top spot in Group E

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-23s progressed to the last 16 of the Premier League Cup after beating Leicester City 2-0 at the Stadium this evening.

Henrik Bjordal’s header gave the Seagulls an early lead, before James Tilley doubled their advantage with a fine effort in the second half, as they secured a second clean sheet in succession.

Simon Rusk made three changes to the starting line-up that overcame Swansea City last Monday, with Liam Rosenior returning to the side for his fourth under-23 appearance, while Richie Towell also featured.

The visitors began the game well and tested Albion early on, as Elliot Moore headed across the face of goal inside a crowded penalty area, before Towell blocked a firm effort from Dylan Watts.

Albion were denied the opening goal by some last-ditch defending in the goalmouth, as Tilley’s close-range effort was blocked following a dangerous pass inside from Tyler Hornby-Forbes.

But the Foxes could do nothing about Hornby-Forbes’s next cross from the right wing, as Bjordal firmly connected with the winger’s inch-perfect delivery to head Albion into a 17th-minute lead.

Admiral Muskwe then headed narrowly wide of the target from Connor Wood’s corner, before the striker was denied again from close-range, as his fierce half-volley was blocked in front of goal.

George Cox found space and surged down the line before crossing for Hornby-Forbes, but the winger scooped his first-time effort over the crossbar from inside the box.

Bjordal sprayed a brilliant cross-field ball into the path of Towell, before the Irishman cut inside and drilled a low attempt wide of the target, as neither side could add to the scoreline in the closing stages of the first half.

Ben White was almost punished for losing the ball in a dangerous area after holding onto possession for too long, but the defender recovered well and blocked Kairo Mitchell’s powerful shot inside the penalty area.

Towell then found the side-netting at the back post from Bjordal’s teasing cross, before Foxes goalkeeper Danny Iversen pulled off a superb save low down to his right-hand side to push Tilley’s curling effort onto the post.

Jordan Davies drilled a free kick at the wall from the corner of the penalty area, which Rosenior then followed up with a first-time effort, but the experienced full-back could only fire over the crossbar from 20 yards.

Substitute Ben Barclay set the ball back for Towell from Bjordal’s searching cross, but the Irishman drilled a low shot wide of Daniel Iversen’s right-hand upright.

Albion’s nerves were settled in the closing stages as Tilley doubled the lead in classy fashion, picking up the ball from Towell before shifting it across his body and drilling an effort into the top corner in the 85th minute.

Watts curled an effort agonisingly wide of the upright in the final few minutes as the Foxes looked to pull a goal back, but Albion finished strongly and sealed their place in the knockout stages.

ALBION: Sanchez; Rosenior, White, Dallison, Cox; Hornby-Forbes (Barclay 62), Collar, Towell, J.Davies (Tighe 76); Tilley, Bjordal.

SUBS NOT USED: Collings (GK), Cadman, Hall.

Advertisement block