Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


14 February 2017

Look back at four past matches between Albion and Ipswich.


Brighton 2-1 Ipswich, 1976/77, League Cup.
After a goalless draw at Portman Road in the second round, Alan Mullery’s side completed the giant-killing in the replay. Albion’s Fred Binney and Town’s Mick Lambert had scored for their respective sides leaving the nail-biting cup tie on a knife edge. A goal from Graham Cross two minutes from time to defeat Bobby Robson’s men, and set up a first-ever competitive meeting with West Bromwich Albion.


Brighton 1-0 Ipswich, 1980/81, Division One.
A crowd of 17.055 saw the Seagulls win their first match in ten Division One games. For Ipswich, it was only their second defeat in the division in 38 league matches. Michael Robinson did the damage, scoring in the 83rd minute. He turned quickly to lose Allan Hunter before driving the ball low to beat stand-in keeper Laurie Sivell. Brighton boss Mullery was defiant after the game. He said: “We are not a bottom-of-the-table side when we play like that. On the evidence of tonight we are not far off Ipswich. But I must admit, towards the end I kicked nearly every ball out there.”


Brighton 2-2 Ipswich, 1991/92, Division Two.
A few months after Dean Wilkins scored the winner against Ipswich to put Albion into the play-offs, it was Town who were now the promotion chasers. Simon Milton put the visitors in front after 15 minutes but Robert Codner supplied John Byrne after the break to equalise for the Seagulls. Jason Dozzell restored the Suffolk side’s lead as Ipswich showed the form and passing play that was to take them to the Second Division championship that season. Even so, Gary Chivers earned Brighton a 2-2 draw with a header from a John Crumplin cross.

Brighton 1-1 Ipswich, 2004/05, Championship.
In May 2005, Shefki Kuqi’s goal for the visitors after four minutes put some Albion fans in panic mode at Withdean as defeat would have led to relegation. However, the cloud was lifted by Adam Virgo’s turning volley which restored parity for Mark McGhee’s side. Then, Charlie Oatway could have given away a penalty for a foul on the half-hour mark. Although Joe Royle played four strikers in the second half, the Seagulls held on in a nerve-jangling match.

Advertisement block