Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


18 February 2017

Four matches over the decades between the two clubs.


Barnsley 4-3 Brighton, 1952/53, FA Cup.
Billy Lane’s Brighton team raced to a 3-0 lead at Oakwell in January, and Jack Wells was the unfortunate keeper who had to pick the ball out of his net three times before the interval. The Barnsley side were roundly booed at half-time. However, a Arthur Kaye goal started the comeback and a double by Busby Babe Tommy Taylor put Barnsley level. It was left to Eddie McMorran to send the Tykes through to the fourth round, leading to a standing ovation at the end.


Brighton 4-1 Barnsley, 1968/69, Division Three.
With Albion in seventh position, Freddie Goodwin’s side could enjoy this sunny April afternoon knowing that the threat of relegation have been averted. Dave Armstrong gave Brighton a half-time lead before Eddie Spearrit, Dave Turner and Alex Dawson rammed home the Albion’s superiority. The result avenged a 4-0 shellacking that Brighton suffered at newly-promoted Barnsley earlier in the campaign, with all four goals scored at the Spion Kop end in the second half.


Barnsley 0-1 Brighton, 1971/72, Division Three.
John Templeman scored the only goal in the middle of a sensational run where Pat Saward’s men won eight of the last 12 matches to eventually gain promotion to the Second Division. The earlier encounter at the Goldstone had ended in a stalemate and so there was much relief when ‘Shirley’ broke the deadlock at Oakwell. While Albion went up, it was a desperate time for Barnsley, as the club were relegated on goal difference at the end of the campaign.

Brighton 5-1 Barnsley 2012/13 Championship.
Wayne Bridge’s first league goal in over nine years, along with a brace each from Ashley Barnes and Craig Mackail-Smith secured an emphatic victory over the Tykes. Barnes fired Albion in front when he slotted the ball home on the rebound after Barnsley keeper David Gonzalez spilled Craig Noone’s free kick. Bridge then doubled Albion’s advantage in the 14th minute, before Craig Davies pulled one back for Barnsley from the penalty spot. But Mackail-Smith put the game beyond doubt with strikes from a Bruno cross and a Noone centre, before Barnes finished the rout by firing in Kazenga LuaLua's cutback.

Advertisement block