Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


2 February 2017


  • Albion beaten 3-1 by Huddersfield
  • Tommy Smith, Nakhi Wells, Elias Kachunga seal win for hosts
  • Tomer Hemed had equalised for Albion
  • Lewis Dunk sent off for two yellows


Ten man Brighton & Hove Albion were beaten 3-1 at Huddersfield Town in a night to forget for the Seagulls.
Chris Hughton’s side were already up against it at 3-1 down, before Lewis Dunk’s 67th minute red card all but condemned Albion to defeat.
Huddersfield have been reinvigorated under David Wagner this season, and an almost full John Smith’s Stadium roared Town on as the hosts flew out the traps.
Former Seagull Rajiv van La Parra had already cracked the post, before captain Tommy Smith saw his strike deflect off Dunk and past David Stockdale, to put the Terriers in front just ten minutes in.
After a rather harrowing opening spell for the Seagulls, the hosts gifted Hughton’s men a way back into the game. Aaron Mooy’s mistimed header inadvertently sent Tomer Hemed racing through on goal, and the Israeli forward showed magnificent composure to round the stranded Danny Ward and roll into the empty net.
However, Huddersfield came again and almost regained the lead as another Van La Parra volley found its way through a busy penalty area, only for an unsighted Stockdale to produce a brilliant low save.
There was nothing Stockdale could do just moments later though, as Beram Kayal’s sliding tackle unfortunately directed the ball into the path of Nakhi Wells, who made no mistake and finished superbly into the top corner.
Murray thought he had sent Albion in level at the break but his header was ruled offside, and Huddersfield capitalised by heading straight up the other end to extend their lead.
Stockdale made the initial save to deny Wells, but Elias Kachunga profited on the rebound to head in from point-blank range.
Steve Sidwell replaced Kayal at the break, but the hosts continued to probe with Stockdale denying Van La Parra at the near post and Wells flashing an effort across the goal.
Jamie Murphy and Hemed were replaced by Arsenal loanee Chuba Akpom and Solly March, as Hughton made his final roll of the dice with 27 minutes to go.
But the Seagulls’ night went from bad to worse, as Dunk’s late challenge on Isaiah Brown earned him a second yellow card, and the defender was given his marching orders.
The Terriers continued to dominate with Mooy striking the post from distance and Stockdale tipping over from substitute Kasey Palmer.
The home fans rejoiced at the final whistle but with Newcastle drawing 2-2 with QPR on Wednesday night, the Seagulls still remain top of the Championship and have an immediate opportunity to respond to the loss at Brentford on Sunday.

Advertisement block