Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


5 February 2017


  • Jota and Harlee Dean put Brentford 2-0 up
  • David Stockdale saved Lasse Vibe’s second-half penalty
  • Solly March and Shane Duffy pull Albion level
  • Konstantin Kerschbaumer and Tomer Hemed score deep in injury-time

Brighton & Hove Albion shared the spoils with Brentford in a dramatic, scintillating 3-3 draw at Griffin Park.

The result summed up a never-say-die attitude from the Seagulls, who wiped out Brentford’s 2-0 lead through goals from Solly March and Shane Duffy.

Konstantin Kerschbaumer’s stoppage-time strike put Brentford 3-2 up before Tomer Hemed had the last word with another equaliser to bring the curtain down on a breathtaking game.

Chris Hughton made three changes to the side that lost to Huddersfield Town on Thursday, as Uwe Huenemeier, Steve Sidwell and Jiri Skalak replaced Lewis Dunk, Beram Kayal and Hemed.

Albion created their first opening with five minutes on the clock when Glenn Murray found Sidwell with a perfectly-weighted cross, but the midfielder's header went over the bar.

Brentford took the lead with 15 minutes on the clock through Jota, who finished well at the near post from Josh McEachran’s low driven cross.

The Seagulls pressed forward from the subsequent kick-off through Skalak, but the Czech's in-swinging shot went over the bar.

Jota came inches away from getting his second goal from a free-kick on the edge of the box, but it skimmed the roof of the net.

The Bees did  double their advantage in a miserable opening 22 minutes for Albion when Harlee Dean guided the ball home from Jota’s in-swinging corner into the box.

Skalak turned provider again in a bid to establish a foothold for Albion in the match, but his set-piece was fired wide by Jamie Murphy at the near post.

Another set-piece opportunity presented itself, this time to Anthony Knockaert, but his free-kick was comfortably saved by Daniel Bentley.

Murphy made a driving run through on goal with only Bentley left to beat, but the Scotsman skewed his effort wide of the left-hand post.

The Seagulls came forward again, this time through Knockaert, who worked his way in from the right flank but saw his shot saved by Bentley.

Albion made a bright start to the second half with a period of pressure outside of the Brentford box, and Murray found himself through on goal, only to fire his angled attempt wide from inside the area.

But just as the Seagulls looked like they might make inroads into the match, the Bees were given penalty following Huenemeier’s challenge on Jota.

However, the German’s blushes were spared by David Stockdale, who kept out Lasse Vibe’s centrally placed spot-kick with his knee.

Stockdale was then called into action again when he made a fine one-handed stop to keep out a fierce strike from Nico Yennaris.

Substitute March gave Hughton’s men a lifeline in emphatic fashion when he took advantage of some space on the edge of the box before curling an unstoppable strike beyond Bentley with 15 minutes left.

Brentford’s lead was then wiped out two minutes later as Duffy's close-range header from Knockaert’s cross beat Bentley, to spark jubilant scenes in the away end.

The Bees thought they had stolen all three points through Kerschbaumer’s clinical strike on 94 minutes, but there was still time for Hemed to crash home a close-range header to claim a share of the spoils.

Advertisement block