Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


14 February 2017


  • A Luke Chambers header gives Ipswich the lead
  • Tomer Hemed equalises from the penalty spot
  • Glenn Murray hits the post in injury time
  • Albion’s gap to third-placed Huddersfield cut to four points

Brighton & Hove Albion shared the spoils with Ipswich Town following a frustrating 1-1 draw at the Amex.

Despite wave after wave of pressure in the closing stages, with Glenn Murray hitting the post in added time, the Seagulls had to settle for a point.

Ipswich broke the deadlock with only eight minutes on the clock, when Luke Chambers nodded home Tom Lawrence’s free-kick and had to receive treatment afterwards following a clash with David Stockdale.

Lewis Dunk had Brighton’s first chance with a left-footed strike that was comfortably saved by Bartosz Bialkowski.

Lawrence then worked his way into space and played in David McGoldrick, but his subsequent effort was blocked.

Anthony Knockaert made a surging run forward and cut in from the right only to see his shot saved by Bialkowski.

But the Seagulls were given a lifeline in the 29th minute when Bruno was pulled down in the box by Emyr Huws and referee Roger East pointed to the spot following a consultation with the assistant referee.

Tomer Hemed coolly slotted the ball into the bottom right-hand corner, as Bialkowski barely moved from his spot on the line.

It could have been 2-1 to Ipswich when the ball fell to McGoldrick in the box, but Stockdale made a fine reaction save down to his right.

Lawrence could also have restored the Tractor Boys’ advantage within a minute of the re-start after being played in by Grant Ward, but Stockdale denied him at the near post.

Town came closer still from another Lawrence set-piece, as a shot from Chambers hit the post, before McGoldrick’s effort was deflected and clipped the bar.

Solly March was allowed to drift into a central shooting position from the right flank, but his strike went wide of Bialkowski’s far post.

Dale Stephens also tried his luck from distance, only to see his sliced effort hit the post behind the goal.

Albion had claims for a second penalty as March appeared to have been caught by Jordan Spence in the box, but referee East waved play on.

Then just moments later, Sam Baldock was teed up by Knockaert from close range but saw his shot saved by Bialkowski.

Hughton freshened up his attack by bringing on Jamie Murphy for March and despite a spell of relentless Albion pressure, Ipswich had a chance to score when Huws got past Dunk in the box, but saw his shot blocked by Shane Duffy.

Chuba Akpom came off the bench to replace Baldock, and he almost had an immediate impact after being played through by Sidwell, but couldn’t trouble Bialkowski with his shot.

The Arsenal loanee then turned provider for Murray on the left, but his strike flashed across the face of goal.

As six minutes of injury time were shown on the board, Murphy surged down the left and teed up Murray, who turned but saw his shot agonisingly hit the post.


1ST PRIZE £1000 38296
2ND PRIZE       41301
3RD PRIZE       43249
4TH PRIZE       41115
5TH PRIZE       38302


1ST £450 3800
2ND £50  1815
3RD £25  2564


Advertisement block