Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


3 February 2017

Albion's under-18s were eliminated from the FA Youth Cup in the fifth round.

Campbell 76
Szereto 90+3

Mandroiu 27 pen
Davies 39

Stoke won 4-2 on penalties

  • Albion lose on penalties in the FA Youth Cup fifth round
  • Danny Mandroiu (pen) and Archie Davies open the scoring
  • Tyrese Campbell and Krisztofer Szereto scored to draw the game level
  • The Potters won 4-2 on penalties to book their place in the next round

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-18s exited the FA Youth Cup on penalties against Stoke City at the Bet365 Stadium this evening, despite an inspired performance that saw them draw 2-2 in normal time.

Danny Mandroiu's penalty and Archie Davies's goal set the Seagulls on their way, but a strike from Tyrese Campbell and Krisztofer Szereto’s stoppage-time penalty sent the game into extra time, before the Potters booked their place in the next round after victory in the penalty shoot-out.

Ian Buckman made two changes to the starting line-up that drew 1-1 with Fulham last time out, with Luis Garcia and Reece Meekums returning to the side.

Albion started the game brightly, forcing the hosts into defending a string of early corners, as they enjoyed the majority of possession inside the opening exchanges.

Neither team were able to create a clear-cut chance in the game’s early stages, but Albion were presented with a golden opportunity to take the lead when Jayson Molumby was brought down inside the penalty area.

Referee Robert Massey-Ellis pointed to the spot and Mandroiu confidently stepped up to fire the ball into the roof of the net, to put the Seagulls in front in the 27 minutes.

The Seagulls doubled their lead in the 39th minute, as Meekums saw his initial shot parried into the path of Davies, who slotted home from close range.

Danny Barker came close to extending Albion’s lead when his header at the back post was cleared in front of goal, before Owen Moore pulled off a brilliant goal-line clearance after almost turning Campbell’s effort into his own net.

Moments later, goalscorer Davies showed his quality in the defensive third of the pitch, as he tracked back and denied Jordan Greenidge’s goal-bound effort with a last-ditch interception before the break.

Molumby fired wide of the target with a powerful drive from Mandroiu’s short free kick soon after the re-start, before Greenidge rose well and looped a header over Tom McGill’s crossbar.

Albion skipper Barker then showed commitment in front of goal as he blocked a fierce effort with his head inside the six-yard box, before McGill saved well to his right-hand side to push Jacob Twyford’s low-driven effort around the post.

McGill saved Albion again with another fine save from Campbell, but the striker wasn’t to be denied in the 76th minute when he found the bottom corner with a drilled effort from the edge of the box, which set up a nervy finish for the Seagulls.

Substitute Szereto came close to restoring parity to the scoreline, but McGill produced an excellent save to tip the winger’s in-swinging free kick over the crossbar.

But deep into stoppage time, with Albion looking likely to progress inside 90 minutes, Stoke were awarded a penalty after Davies was adjudged to have brought down Szereto, and the latter stepped up to score from the spot to send the game into extra time.

Neither side were able to take advantage inside the extra 30 minutes that were played, which meant the game would be settled with a penalty shoot-out.

Molumby and Barker converted from the spot, but with Stoke hitting the back of the net with all four of their penalties, Mate Deczki’s saves from Mandroiu and Alex Cochrane's spot-kicks proved enough to send the Potters into the next round.

ALBION: McGill; Davies, Barker, Moore, O'Sullivan; Mandroiu, Molumby, Garcia (Hutchinson 115); Ajiboye (Cashman 73), Connolly, Meekums (Cochrane 84).

SUBS NOT USED: Bentley (GK), Ljubicic.

Advertisement block