Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


8 December 2017

Sylvester George
Albion's under-23s in action against Fulham at Motspur Park.
  • Albion draw 1-1 with Fulham at Motspur Park
  • Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson gives the hosts the lead
  • Max Sanders levels for Albion in the second half
  • The Seagulls are now six games unbeaten in the league

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-23s came from behind to extend their unbeaten streak in the Premier League 2 Division 2 to six games, as they drew 1-1 with Fulham at Motspur Park this evening.

A wonderful strike from Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson just before half-time put the hosts in front, but after a positive second-half display from the Seagulls, Max Sanders found the bottom corner with a cool finish to secure another point away from home.

Simon Rusk called upon first-team players Connor Goldson, Jamie Murphy and Jiri Skalak at Fulham’s training ground, while Robert Sanchez made a return from injury between the sticks.

There was little in terms of goalmouth action inside the opening ten minutes of the game, with a George Cox cross cleared at the back post before Tyler Forbes intervened to prevent Fulham getting a shot away up the other end.

Goldson was needed when a Rafael Soares cross caused trouble inside Albion’s penalty area, as the Albion defender got to a loose ball and swept up after Sanchez was unable to gather.

Michael Elstone came close to giving his side the lead when his hanging cross worked its way towards goal, but Sanchez was pleased to see the striker’s misplaced cross clip the crossbar and go behind.
Albion’s Spanish goalkeeper then made a remarkable fingertip save from Thorsteinsson’s effort which looked destined for the top corner, before Alzate almost got on the end of Cox’s low cross for the Seagulls.

But on the stroke of half-time Sanchez could do nothing to stop Thorsteinsson’s next effort, as the Fulham winger picked out the top corner with a sublime effort to give the Cottagers a 1-0 lead at the break.

Elijah Adebayo tried adding another for Fulham soon after the re-start but Sanchez comfortably claimed, before Skalak fired a powerful effort into the hands of Luca Ashby-Hammond from 25 yards.

The Czech then curled a free-kick just wide of the Fulham shot-stopper’s right-hand post, as the Seagulls enjoyed a dominant spell in the second half as they continued to look for an equaliser.

Their pressure told in the 79th minute when the ball found its way to Sanders on the edge of Fulham’s penalty area, and the midfielder picked out the bottom corner to deservedly pull Albion level.

A Thorsteinsson cross caused chaos inside Albion’s six-yard box in the closing stages, but Sanchez managed to claw the winger’s looping delivery away from goal, and that proved the final piece of action at Motspur Park.

ALBION: Sanchez; Forbes (Mateju 46), Goldson, Hall, Cox; Sanders, Collar; Tilley (Bjordal 64), Murphy, Skalak (Ahannach 75); Alzate.

Subs not used: Vose (GK), J.Davies

Advertisement block