Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


7 December 2017

Paul Hazlewood
Ryan Longman in action against Newcastle United.
  • Albion are knocked out of the FA Youth Cup
  • Kelland Watts gives Newcastle a tenth-minute lead
  • Lewis Cass scores the visitors’ second goal, before Watts scores Newcastle’s third and fourth goals from the penalty spot
  • Substitute Kurtis Russell makes it 5-0 in stoppage time

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-18s were knocked out of the FA Youth Cup following a 5-0 defeat to Newcastle United at the Amex.

The result was a cruel reflection on the game, as Albion created a number of clear goalscoring chances, but were denied on several occasions by an in-form Dan Langley in the Newcastle goal.

Matthew Longstaff had a chance inside the opening minute for the visitors, as he fired wide from just outside the box, as Newcastle pressed forward straight from kick-off.

Stefan Ljubicic then raced forward down the other end for Newcastle, but also blazed an effort off target.

Aaron Connolly then raced to the byline down the right-hand side and found Ljubicic in space, but the latter’s close-range strike forced a fine save from Newcastle keeper Dan Langley.

The visitors took the lead with ten minutes on the clock through Kelland Watts, whose close-range finish beat Tom McGill following a ball into the box from Ollie Walters.

Connolly was Albion’s chief protagonist going forward and he weaved his way through the Magpies defence, only to see his subsequent strike deflected wide.

Then from the resulting corner Ljubicic’s header was cleared off the line, as the visitors held onto their slender advantage.

The Seagulls then had another good chance to break the deadlock, but Danny Cashman shot wide from inside the after a sweeping move.

Albion had a penalty shout turned down when Connolly took a tumble inside the box, but referee Matthew Russell waved away his appeals for a spot-kick.

Following a quiet period in the match, the game sprung to life again when goalscorer Watts turned on the edge of the area and shot wide of the target.

Alex Cochrane made a good run down the left-hand side to tee up a chance for Connolly, but the Irishman’s strike was kept out by Langley.

The Newcastle shot-stopper was called into action again just moments later and made another fine stop to keep out Ljubicic’s header at the near post.

Connolly had yet another chance to level the scores, but was thwarted by Langley again, before going down inside the box again, before having his appeals for a spot-kick dismissed once more by Russell.

The Seagulls were left to rue their missed chances, as Lewis Cass doubled Newcastle’s advantage with a tap in from Longstaff’s corner with 65 minutes on the clock.

Langley continued his impressive performance in the Newcastle goal to keep out Connolly’s header at the near post.

The hosts came within inches of gaining a foothold in the game, but Cashman’s lopping strike from distance cannoned off the crossbar.

However, Albion were dealt another cruel blow when Newcastle were awarded a penalty following Jordan Onen’s foul on Desse Kasinga inside the box. Watts stepped up to make it 3-0.

It was a case of déjà vu five minutes later when Watts was brought down inside the box and he made it 4-0.

Two substitutes combined to wrap up the result for Newcastle, as Elias Sorensen squared the ball to Kurtis Russell to make it 5-0.

ALBION: McGill; Morrison, Roberts, Clark-Eden, Cochrane; Longman (Hutchinson 85), Araujo (Fornah 81), Shihab, Cashman; Connolly, Ljubicic (Onen 73).

SUBS NOT USED: Bentley (GK), Kone.

Advertisement block