Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


19 August 2017

Paul Hazlewood
Glenn Murray in action against Leicester.
  • Goals from Shinji Okazaki and Harry Maguire give Leicester victory
  • Albion are beaten for a second time in two games
  • Glenn Murray has an effort ruled out for offside
  • The Seagulls travel to Watford next Saturday

It was altogether different opposition and certainly a contrasting style of play to contend with, but Brighton & Hove Albion’s second Premier League outing again ended in defeat.
Last week the Seagulls made their top-flight bow against title favourites Manchester City, who dominated the ball for long spells at the Amex. This time it was the Albion who had more of the possession as the away team, but who finished on the back of the same 0-2 scoreline.
A big positive from the performance last Saturday was the tight rearguard action that kept the visitors at bay for 70 minutes, but it was an altogether different scenario against Leicester City, where the hosts were ahead inside the opening minute.
Caught out by a trademark Foxes counter-attack, winger Riyad Mahrez cut in from the right flank and his low shot was parried by Albion keeper Maty Ryan. On hand inside the six-yard box was Shinji Okazaki, who reacted first to sweep home his second goal in two games.
Lifted by their dream start, Jamie Vardy missed a good opportunity to extend the lead as the hosts continued to search for a second; but Albion managed to weather the storm and gradually got a foothold in the game with some tidy patterns of play.
Indeed, Glenn Murray had the ball in the back of the net on 24 minutes when he let the ball drop over his shoulder before drilling past Kasper Schmeichel, but replays showed him a good yard offside when he met Solly March’s cross.

Albion also had strong claims for a penalty soon after when Jamie Murphy’s drilled effort hit a combination of Wes Morgan’s arm and chest, but referee Lee Probert waved play on.
Leicester, happy to play on the break, thought they had doubled their lead shortly before the interval when Vardy cut the ball back from the right-hand side of the box, but the onrushing Okazaki flashed his effort narrowly wide of the target.
The Seagulls started the second half in the ascendancy, dominating possession while looking assured on the ball, but it was the Foxes who delivered a sucker-punch when Harry Maguire rose to head home a Mahrez corner with 55 minutes on the clock.
Albion’s first opportunity of the half came eight minutes later when Murray failed to connect with a March cross, so to provide fresh attacking impetus, Chris Hughton sent on Anthony Knockaert, who received a rapturous reception from both sets of fans.
The introduction of the Frenchman certainly triggered the Seagulls into a sustained spell of forward pressure, with fellow sub Tomer Hemed forcing a good save out of Schmeichel with a 20-yard effort.
March also brought a save out of the Leicester keeper but, unfortunately, it was a bridge too far for the side to get anything out of the game.
Albion will, however, take heart from the way they played in the second half as they continue their Premier League journey with a trip to Watford next on the agenda.

Advertisement block