Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


1 August 2017

Paul Hazlewood
Beram Kayal in action v Girona.
  • Albion play out a goalless draw with Girona
  • The Seagulls end the match with ten men after Glenn Murray is sent off
  • Jamie Murphy and Tomer Hemed have efforts ruled out for offside.
  • Brighton host Atletico Madrid at the Amex on Sunday

Brighton & Hove Albion continued their pre-season preparations with a hard-fought goalless draw with Girona at the Nou Estadi Municipal de Palamos.

Despite a lack of goals, the game had no shortage of action, with Albion ending the match with ten men following Glenn Murray’s red card late on.

Both sides had early chances to break the deadlock, with Alex Granell seeing an effort headed clear by Shane Duffy, while Tomer Hemed fired over the bar from Liam Rosenior’s cross at the other end.

Albion had some joy down the right-hand side in the early stages, with Jamie Murphy’s cross from the right just missing Hemed at the far post.

Girona then missed a golden opportunity to break the deadlock when defender Pedro Alcala saw his free header go wide.

Pascal Gross carved out the next chance for the Seagulls, but his shot was pushed away by goalkeeper Gorka Iraizoz, before his cross from the rebound was turned over by Hemed.

Chris Hughton’s men also caused problems from a set piece too when Lewis Dunk rose highest in the box to meet a searching corner from Dale Stephens, but the Girona defence cleared the danger.

Hemed thought he had added his name to the scoresheet shortly before the break after he clinically slotted the ball home from Murphy’s pass, but the referee ruled it out for offside.

Girona worked a good opening themselves, as Andres Romero’s shot forced a save from Mathew Ryan.

Albion pressed forward again, this time through Izzy Brown, who cut inside from the right but saw his shot go wide of the far post.

Murphy thought he had broken the deadlock with 13 minutes remaining as he tucked home a ball from Brown, but the linesman’s flag was raised.

Murray then received the first of his two yellow cards, for dissent towards the referee, after he suffered a knock to the back of his head in a late challenge.

The Albion frontman was then given his marching orders just five minutes later for a high footed challenge on Pere Pons.

Hughton’s men still had a chance to nick the game late on, but substitute Uwe Huenemeier narrowly failed to connect with a corner.

Advertisement block