Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


29 April 2017

  • Josh Brownhill scores the winner for Bristol City
  • Albion miss out on the chance to secure the Sky Bet Championship title
  • A record Amex crowd of 30,338 watch the game
  • The Seagulls need a win away at Aston Villa next Sunday to secure the title

Brighton & Hove Albion missed out on the chance to secure the Sky Bet Championship title after a frustrating 1-0 defeat at home to Bristol City today.
Josh Brownhill’s first-half header was enough to secure the Robins all three points and their Championship status for next season, while Albion will need to win away at Aston Villa on Sunday week to finish top of the table.
Chris Hughton made five changes from the 2-0 defeat at Norwich City, with Sebastien Pocognoli, Steve Sidwell, Oliver Norwood, Jamie Murphy, and Solly March dropping out of the side.
Glenn Murray had a chance for the Seagulls inside the opening three minutes when he skewed his close-range shot wide.
Albion’s leading goalscorer had another chance to put his side ahead with a header from Bruno’s cross that went over the target.
Jiri Skalak then drove in from the left-hand side, but his shot was kept out comfortably by City keeper Frank Fielding.
The Bruno-Murray combination came into play again, but Fielding thwarted the latter with a clearance at the near post.
Anthony Knockaert had a relatively quiet opening half an hour by his standards, but some fancy footwork set up Gaetan Bong on the left, whose cross was headed agonisingly wide by Murray at the far post.
Bong tried his luck himself with a shot from distance moments later that was deflected over the bar.
Despite Albion’s pressure late in the half, it was City that took the lead through Brownhill in the 43rd minute as he clinically headed the ball home from Matty Taylor’s cross.
Hughton freshened up the left flank at the break as he brought on March for Skalak. The winger was involved in the thick of the action shortly after his introduction, as his out-swinging corner was headed wide by Uwe Huenemeier.
The Robins could’ve doubled their advantage just past the hour mark when Albion failed to deal with Jamie Paterson’s corner, but Taylor failed to make a connection from Aden Flint’s header at the far post.
March was the main protagonist from another corner, but Lewis Dunk was off target this time with a close-range header.
The winger then linked up with Murray, who delivered a brilliant inswinging cross to the six-yard box, but Tomer Hemed couldn’t connect with the ball.
Dunk came within a whisker of levelling the scores and setting up a potential grandstand finish, but he dragged his shot wide after being teed up by March.
March was the instigator again for the Seagulls, as he drove into space, only to see his shot from distance clear the crossbar.
David Stockdale was called into action twice in quick succession to deny Bobby Reid and Paterson from inside the box with two fine saves.
There was still time for Murray to have one more chance in the game, but his header went straight at Fielding and the Seagulls succumbed to only their third home league defeat of the season.

Advertisement block