Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


12 September 2016

Simon Rusk's side were beaten in the league for the first time this season.

Jones 19


  • Albion lose their first league game of the season
  • Callam Jones opened the scoring in the first half
  • Jack Harper went close with Albion's best chance
  • The Seagulls take on Newcastle United at the Stadium next Monday


Brighton & Hove Albion's under-23s lost their first league game of the season, as West Bromwich Albion claimed a 1-0 victory at the Hawthorns this evening.

Callam Jones scored the only goal of the game on a frustrating evening for the Seagulls, who went close to equalising late on through substitute Jack Harper.

Simon Rusk made five changes to the starting line-up that lost at Southend United in the Checkatrade Trophy, including three in defence, with Connor Tighe and James Tilley coming in on the flanks.

The Seagulls began the game on the front foot, enjoying an early spell of possession, with Jesse Starkey testing the keeper with a free-kick from 25 yards inside the opening period.

Joe Ward and Tilley were next to try their luck, testing Alex Palmer in West Brom's goal, but the pair failed to find the quality required to beat the Baggies goalkeeper.

Slightly against the run of play, the hosts took the lead on 19 minutes, as Jones worked himself into space on the edge the box and fired low to Sanchez's right to break the deadlock.

The opening goal boosted the Baggies, who began to find their feet in the game, with Jonathan Leko and ex-Liverpool player Mohamed Sissoko both denied in front of goal.

Sanchez was almost caught out at his near post, as Kane Wilson came close to doubling West Brom's lead, before Will Collar shot comfortably wide with a 30-yard half-volley at the other end.

Soon after the re-start, Ben Barclay was called upon to prevent the scoreline from doubling, when the defender timed his last-ditch challenge exceptionally well to block a close-range shot from Tyler Roberts.

The Baggies continued to apply pressure, with James Morrison wasting two free-kick opportunities in quick succession.

The Seagulls switched to a 4-4-2 formation in search of finding an equalising goal, as substitutes Jonah Ayunga and Harper led the line, with Jayson Molumby occupying a central midfield role.

Collar showed great commitment to charge forward and win a free-kick on the edge of the Baggies' box, but Starkey's subsequent drilled effort was blocked.

With time running out, Harper had Albion's best chance to level the game when the striker found space in the penalty area, only for Palmer to save the Scotsman's left-footed attempt down low.

Dara O'Shea was on-hand to intercept George Cox's low cross into the box, with Harper waiting to connect, and the Baggies survived a late period of pressure from the Seagulls.

But Rusk's side weren't able to find the goal they needed, and the hosts secured all three points.

ALBION: Sanchez; White, Hall (Molumby 64), Barclay, Cox; Collar; Tighe (Harper 70), Hutchinson, Starkey, Tilley (Ayunga 60); Ward.

SUBS NOT USED: Vose (GK), Cadman.

Advertisement block