Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


3 October 2016

Albion under-18s were edged out in a thrilling contest.

 Connolly 25,75
 Hutchinson 34
 Mandriou 45

 House 1, 3
 Barker 30 (OG), 90 (OG)
 Holsgrove 40 (Pen)
 Philby 64
 Rollinson 81


  • Albion were beaten in an 11-goal thriller
  • Reading led the game since Ben House’s first-minute strike
  • The Seagulls managed to peg it back to 4-3 before half-time, thanks to Danny Mandriou’s strike
  • The under-18s are next in action against Southampton at the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre, on Saturday 15th October



Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-18s were beaten 7-4 by Reading at the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre on Saturday.

A brace from Ben House, two own-goals from Danny Barker and a strike each from Jordan Holsgrove, Harry Philby and Joel Robinson secured the victory for Reading.

Meanwhile, Aaron Connolly hit a brace for Albion, while Isaac Hutchinson and Danny Mandroiu were also on target for Ian Buckman’s side.

The Royals took the lead inside the first minute, after House seized upon a defensive error and slid the ball beyond Albion keeper George Hobbs.

House got his second just two minutes later after another defensive error and made it 2-0 with only three minutes on the clock.

Brighton got a goal back in the 25th minute, when Isaac Hutchinson’s long-range effort was parried by the Royals keeper straight into the path of Connolly, who headed the ball into the bottom corner.

The Berkshire side then gave themselves a two-goal cushion in the 30th minute, as Danny Barker turned the ball into his own net from a dangerous cross.

But it was 3-2 just four minutes later thanks to Hutchinson. Tyrese Fornah led a quick counter-attack, which was finished off with a great left-footed strike from the midfielder.

Fornah was involved in the thick of the action again when he gave away a penalty five minutes before the break, and Holsgrove stepped up to put the ball past the Hobbs into the top left-hand corner.

The Seagulls then brought it back to 4-3 just before half time through Mandroiu, as he latched onto a through ball from Max Sanders and finished excellently from outside the box.

Royals defender Philby scored the first goal of the second half with a powerful header past Hobbs in the 64th minute.

Connolly got his second and Albion’s fourth of the match after he linked up well with Stefan Ljubicic and tucked the ball into the bottom corner to make it 5-4.

The scoring continued when Rollinson capitalised on another defensive error to make it 6-4, with a fierce strike from the edge of the area..

The 11th goal of an enthralling contest came in fortuitous circumstances for the Royals, as Hobbs parried away a shot which rebounded off Baker to make the final score 7-4.

ALBION: Hobbs; Tavares, Barker, Cochrane (Ferguson 80), O’Sullivan; Hutchinson, Fornah (Ljubicic 68), Sanders; Connolly, Mandroiu, Meekums (Moore 80).


Advertisement block