Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


21 November 2016

Albion's under-23s were beaten by Swansea tonight.

McBurnie 15


  • Albion lose 1-0 to the league leaders
  • Oliver McBurnie scored the only goal of the game
  • Joe Ward and Will Collar went close to equalising
  • The Seagulls play Wolves at home next Monday


Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-23s were narrowly edged out 1-0 against Swansea City at the Landore Training Centre this evening.

Oliver McBurnie scored the game’s only goal in the first half, before Will Collar and Joe Ward had efforts tipped over the crossbar on a frustrating evening for Albion in South Wales.

Simon Rusk made a number of changes from the Sussex Senior Cup victory at Hailsham Town, with Rob Hunt introduced at centre-half alongside Ben Hall.

The Swans had the first chance of the game inside the opening minute, as Alex Samuel cut in off the left wing and fired over the crossbar from long range.

Nathan Dyer then dribbled into Albion’s penalty area and unleashed an effort at goal, but Robert Sanchez comfortably claimed the winger’s tame drive.

Albion struggled to keep possession inside the opening stages and paid the price after 15 minutes, when McBurnie headed past Sanchez from Tyler Reid’s cross to break the deadlock.

Hall made a last-ditch block to deny George Byers from doubling Swansea’s lead, before Sanchez saved well to his right-hand side from McBurnie.

The hosts continued to dominate possession and win the midfield battle, as Byers stole the ball from Jayson Molumby, drove forward and fired over the crossbar from distance.

The Seagulls recorded their first notable effort when Hall rose to meet Ward’s right-footed free kick, but the centre-back could only direct his header wide of the target.

Collar had Albion’s best chance shortly before the break, as he unleashed a fierce shot towards goal, but Swansea goalkeeper Mark Birighitti was on hand to make a quick-reaction save.

Stephen Kingsley and Samuel had early efforts for the hosts after the re-start, with the latter cushioning the ball down with his chest, only to blaze an effort wide of Sanchez’s goal.

Ward went close for Albion when the winger’s close-range header from Henrik Bjordal’s precise cross was tipped over the crossbar by Birighitti.

Jesse Starkey then fired a 30-yard free-kick towards the top corner, but Swansea’s shot-stopper did well to get across his goal and make a superb save.

McBurnie had another chance to extend the home side’s lead, but could only stretch to direct Reid’s back-post cross wide of Sanchez’s right-hand upright.

Rusk introduced Jack Harper, Connor Tighe and Danny Mandroiu in the later stages, as Albion looked to make their pressure count and score an equalising goal.

James Tilley created himself an angle to shoot inside the penalty area late on, but could only fire wide of the target under pressure from Swansea’s defence.

Albion piled the pressure on their opponents during the closing stages of the game, but couldn’t find the goal they needed, as Albion’s eight-game unbeaten run came to an end.

ALBION: Sanchez; Collar, Hall, Hunt, Cox; Ward (Tighe 69), Molumby, Hutchinson, Bjordal (Harper 80); Starkey (Mandroiu 80); Tilley.

SUBS NOT USED: Vose (GK), Barnett.

Advertisement block