Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


9 November 2016

Albion progress to the Sussex Senior Cup third round.


Cadman 40
Sanders 77
Ajiboye 90


  • Albion reach the third round of the Parafix Sussex Senior Cup
  • Cadman opens scoring in first half
  • Sanders and Ajiboye add late goals
  • Tilley receives red card early on

Brighton & Hove Albion progressed to the third round of the Parafix Sussex Senior Cup with a convincing 3-0 victory against Hailsham Town this evening.

James Tilley was sent off early in the game, but goals from Tom Cadman, Max Sanders and David Ajiboye sealed victory for the Seagulls.

Simon Rusk made eleven changes to the starting line-up that beat Leyton Orient at the Amex last night, with a number of under-18 players included in the squad.

The hosts had the first chance of the game, but Adam Lovat’s free-kick from 25 yards was comfortably dealt with by Albion goalkeeper Tom McGill.

Tilley then tried his luck from distance, as the striker cut inside and pulled the trigger, but his ambitious effort sailed wide of the target.

Albion were reduced to ten men after just nine minutes, when Tilley's strong tackle on Connor Townsend was deemed a red card offence.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, Albion enjoyed a positive spell of possession after the dismissal, with Ben Barclay heading over the crossbar from Joe Ward’s inswinging corner.

Some great play from Sanders and Danny Mandroiu led to the latter being fouled inside the penalty area, but with only Levett to beat from 12 yards, the midfielder had his spot-kick saved.

Mandroiu then tried making up for his saved penalty, but his long-range shot was easily gathered, before Jack Harper cut in off the wing and fired straight at Levett from distance.

On 40 minutes, Albion broke the deadlock through Cadman, as the centre-half scored with a right-footed strike, following Ward’s half-cleared corner.

Ward had a great chance to double Albion’s lead after the break, following Mandroiu’s perfectly-weighted through-ball, but the winger could only roll the ball wide of the target.

Substitute Ajiboye made a positive start after coming on and came close to extending Albion’s lead, but the winger’s fierce drive sailed wide from just inside the box.

Marcus Goldsmith shot from distance for the hosts, but McGill saved well to his right-hand side, before Sam Townsend’s glancing header dropping narrowly wide of goal.

On 77 minutes, Albion added comfort to the scoreline, as Sanders dribbled to the byline, cut inside and fired past Levett to extend the lead from close range.

Archie Davies was denied by a great save from Levett late on, as the winger’s shot was tipped over from point-blank range.

The substitute then turned provider in the 90th minute, as Davies passed to Ajiboye who rolled the ball into the bottom corner to secure a third goal, as Albion comfortably progressed to the third round.

ALBION: McGill (GK); Moore, Cadman, Barclay, Cox; Ward (Ajiboye 60), Sanders (Barker 90), Mandroui, Tighe; Harper (Davies 78), Tilley.

SUBS NOT USED: Bentley (GK), Garcia.

Advertisement block