Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


19 July 2016

Albion were beaten in their second match of pre-season.

Woodrow 32
Sessegnon 52
Stearman 80


  • Albion beaten for the first time in pre-season
  • Cauley Woodrow, Ryan Sessegnon and Richard Stearman on target for Fulham
  • A crowd of 1,076 watched the game
  • The Seagulls next face a double header against Luton and Stevenage on Saturday

Brighton & Hove Albion tasted defeat for the first time in pre-season, following a 3-0 defeat to Fulham at the EBB Stadium.

Goals from Cauley Woodrow, Ryan Sessegnon and Richard Stearman secured a comfortable win for the Cottagers on a very warm evening in Aldershot.

After a largely uneventful opening ten minutes, Albion had their first chance of the game when Danny Holla’s corner was met inside the box by Lewis Dunk, but the defender saw his shot blocked.

Fulham were dealt an early blow when Ryan Fredericks was forced off injured and replaced by Sessegnon.

The Cottagers then broke forward through Sone Aluko, but his strike was comfortably saved by Niki Maenpaa.

Kazenga LuaLua made a jinking run down the left-hand side and almost picked out Glenn Murray, but the Fulham defence cleared the danger.

Aluko had another chance to break the deadlock, but his shot was deflected behind for a corner.

Slavisa Jokanovic’s side again came close to getting off the mark when Lasse Vigen Christensen forced a strong two-handed stop from Maenpaa.

The opening goal came from the resulting corner, as Woodrow powered home a header after being teed up by Tayo Edun.

Aluko continued to be a threat, this time from a set-piece, but his left-footed strike cannoned off the bar.

Fulham had the first chance after the interval through Aluko again, but the winger's shot did not trouble Maenpaa.

Chris Hughton had made seven changes to his first-half line-up, with only Maenpaa, Ben White, Holla and Jamie Murphy remaining on the pitch.

Substitute Anthony Knockaert had a chance to equalise with a free-kick from a central position, but his effort went tamely over the target.

Fulham doubled their advantage in the 52nd minute through Sessegnon, who was played through on the left before firing an unstoppable strike past Maenpaa.

The Cottagers pressed forward once again and Albion under-21 defender White made a clearance on the line to keep out Michael Madl’s goalbound strike.

The Seagulls had an opportunity to get a foothold in the match when Knockaert played in Tomer Hemed, but his attempted lob went wide of the target.

Albion again broke forward through Henrik Bjordal but the move ended with two blocked chances for Hemed.

With ten minutes remaining the Cottagers made the scoreline more emphatic; Tom Cairney laying the ball off for Stearman, who fired home past Robert Sanchez.

Hughton’s men were awarded a free-kick in a promising position in the closing stages, but Knockaert’s attempted ball failed to find an Albion player, summing up a frustrating night for the Seagulls.

ALBION (first half): Maenpaa; Hunt, Dunk, White, Rosenior; Murphy, Holla, Sidwell, LuaLua; Murray, Baldock.

ALBION (second half): Maenpaa (Sanchez 72); Bruno, Hall, White (Tyler-Forbes 72), Bong; Knockaert, Ince, Kayal, Holla (Bjordal 62); Hemed, Murphy (Tilley 62).

Advertisement block