Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


9 January 2016


  • A Robert Snodgrass penalty sends Albion out
  • Kazenga LuaLua and Sam Baldock make their returns to the side
  • Liam Ridgewell and Richie Towell make their Brighton debuts
  • Andrew Crofts hits the bar in stoppage time

Brighton & Hove Albion were eliminated from the Emirates FA Cup at the third round stage, following a 1-0 defeat to Hull City at the KC Stadium.
A first-half penalty from Robert Snodgrass was enough to send the Tigers through after a much-changed Albion team took to the pitch.
Chris Hughton made seven changes to the side that lost 1-0 at home to Wolves last Friday, as Liam Ridgewell and Richie Towell both made their Albion debuts.
The hosts created the first chance of the game when Snodgrass’s free-kick was punched away by Niki Maenpaa, before Isaac Hayden fired a follow-up strike over the bar.
Hayden was involved in the thick of the action again just moments later, but this time Maenpaa made a comfortable save.
Connor Goldson, Towell and Inigo Calderon then combined well to set up a chance for Elvis Manu, but Tigers keeper Eldin Jakupovic was out quickly to claim the ball.
Adama Diomande was next to come close for the Tigers, but his header did not trouble Maenpaa.
Hayden continued to be a threat for the hosts, as he launched another strike from distance that went just wide of the right-hand post.
The hosts were awarded a penalty in the closing stages of the half after Lewis Dunk was penalised for a challenge on Harry Maguire.
Snodgrass stepped up to take the spot-kick and fired the ball straight down the middle to give Hull the lead after 41 minutes.
Diomande had a chance to double Hull’s lead shortly after the re-start, but blazed his attempt over the bar.
Andrew Robertson delivered a dangerous ball into the path of Sone Aluko, but the attempt was off target.
Ryan Taylor’s corner into the box was met by goalscorer Snodgrass, who hooked his shot wide of the target.
Tom Huddlestone was next to try his luck from distance and his long-range strike sailed narrowly wide of Maenpaa’s goal.
The Finland international keeper kept the deficit at one with a superb stop to keep out Taylor’s header.
The shot-stopper was called into action again when he clawed away Snodgrass’s corner that was close to creeping in at the far post.
Aluko reacted quickest to some indecision in the Albion defence and his powerful drive was pushed away to safety by Maenpaa.
Kazenga LuaLua and Sam Baldock both made their welcome returns from injury, after coming off the bench, with the latter almost netting an unlikely equaliser.
The forward raced through on goal and sent his low, left-footed strike just past Jakupovic’s right post.
Steve Bruce’s men still carried a threat going forward though and Hayden’s low attempt went wide of the post.
Albion had a golden opportunity to take the tie to a replay when a driven cross by LuaLua was met by Andrew Crofts, but the Welsh international’s strike rebounded off the post.

Advertisement block