Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


16 February 2016


  • Albion move up to third in the Championship table
  • Steve Sidwell makes his first start
  • David Stockdale makes vital save late on
  • The Seagulls are now unbeaten in their last five games

Brighton & Hove Albion maintained their promotion push with a hard-earned point at league leaders Hull City.

The result moves the Seagulls up one place to third in the Championship table and only a point behind Middlesbrough in the automatic promotion places.

Chris Hughton made two changes to the side that beat Bolton Wanderers on Saturday, as Inigo Calderon replaced the departed Liam Ridgewell and Steve Sidwell came in for Bobby Zamora.

Liam Rosenior also made a welcome return to the matchday squad for the first time since November, after recovering from a knee injury.

None of the last nine meetings between the sides had been decided by more than a single-goal margin, and tonight’s game looked like continuing that trend with very little in the way of chances for either side during the first half.

Albion created their first opportunity when Tomer Hemed and Sidwell linked up well to set up a chance for Jamie Murphy, whose strike stung the gloves of Hull goalkeeper Alan McGregor before going behind for a corner.

Anthony Knockaert picked out Lewis Dunk inside the box with the subsequent set-piece, but the defender’s header sailed well wide of the post.

The Tigers had their first meaningful chance of the game when Tom Huddlestone latched onto Dunk’s headed clearance and sent a low, left-footed strike just wide of David Stockdale’s right-hand post.

Hull won a free-kick in a dangerous position in first-half stoppage time, but Robert Snodgrass’s shot hit the Albion wall.

Abel Hernandez drove forward into a central position after the break, but his shot went high and wide of the target.

Knockaert threaded an angled pass towards Hemed and despite getting a shot away, the linesman raised his flag.

Sidwell then released Beram Kayal through on the right-hand side, but his ball across the box was comfortably collected by McGregor.

Kayal and Hemed were brought off with a little under 19 minutes remaining to be replaced by Andrew Crofts and Sam Baldock, who made his first appearance since Albion’s previous trip to Hull in an FA Cup third round tie last month.

Despite the change of personnel upfront, it was Dunk who next came close for Hughton’s side after making a surging run from the centre of defence before sending a curling strike just inches wide of the post.

The Tigers also freshened up their attack with the introduction of Arsenal loanee Chuba Akpom and the forward had a chance to test the Albion defence with a header, but it went over the bar.

Stockdale was called into action when he superbly tipped a Sam Clucas free-kick onto the post to keep the scores level late on.

Albion could have stolen all three points deep into added-on time when Calderon’s free-kick found Jiri Skalak, but the substitute's shot went over the bar.

Advertisement block