Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


12 December 2016

Simon Rusk's side were beaten by Fulham tonight.

Humphrys 24, 56
Edun 44
Williams 90+2


  • The Seagulls are beaten 4-0 by the Cottagers
  • Stephen Humphrys scores a brace
  • Adetayo Edun and George Williams add to the scoreline
  • Richie Towell plays the full 90 minutes


Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-23s were beaten 4-0 by Fulham at their Motspur Park training ground this evening.

Stephen Humphrys scored a goal either side of Adetayo Edun’s cool finish, before George Williams delivered a final blow in stoppage time, as the Seagulls struggled to find any rhythm throughout the game.

Simon Rusk made five changes to the team that beat AFC Wimbledon in the Checkatrade Trophy, while Richie Towell and Rob Hunt remained in the starting line-up.

Fulham came close to breaking the deadlock in fortuitous fashion, as Lucas De La Torre’s cross from the right wing almost crept in at Bailey Vose’s back post inside the opening stages.

Cauley Woodrow brought the ball down inside Albion’s penalty area soon afterwards, but his close-range effort was blocked in front of goal.

Jack Harper had Albion’s first chance on goal, as he connected sweetly with a volley from George Cox’s delightful delivery, but the striker’s first-time effort was straight at Fulham goalkeeper Jesse Joronen.

Harper then turned provider for Will Collar, whose dipping drive from distance flew straight into the hands of Joronen, before Humphrys saw his firm effort blocked up the other end.

But Humphrys wasn’t to be denied moments later, when Albion failed to clear the ball inside their penalty area, and the young striker fired home in the 24th minute to put the hosts in front.

Albion struggled to keep possession of the ball and the Cottagers continued to pressurise in forward areas, with De La Torre going close again with a curling effort that sailed narrowly wide.

Towell had a fierce effort blocked in front of goal after running onto Connor Tighe’s pass across the penalty area, before Dylan Barnett’s tame effort at the back post was saved by Joronen.

Fulham doubled their lead shortly before half-time, as they pounced on a loose pass in midfield and full-back Edun drove forward to slot past Vose in the 44th minute.

Humphrys had a chance for his second and Fulham’s third goal of the game soon after the break, but the striker’s effort at full stretch travelled wide of the target.

But Humphrys made no mistake after 56 minutes when Vose’s misplaced pass fell to the Fulham striker, who composed himself and effortlessly rolled the ball past Albion’s keeper to extend the scoreline.

Cox tried his luck with a free kick from 30 yards, as Albion went in search of a lifeline, but the full-back’s curling effort lacked pace and was comfortably gathered by Joronen.

Towell continued to try and dictate the game for Albion in the middle of the park, but the Irishman’s firm drive from distance flew straight into the hands of Fulham’s shot-stopper.

Woodrow unleashed a powerful effort which whistled past Vose’s left-hand upright, before substitute Tom Cadman scooped a shot wide of the target from just inside the box.

Fulham added a fourth goal in stoppage time, as Williams beat Vose with an ambitious effort from 30 yards, and Albion fell to their fourth league defeat of the season.

ALBION: Vose; Hunt, Hall (Ljubicic 85), Hutchinson, Cox; Collar; Bjordal, Tighe, Towell, Barnett (Cochrane 86); Harper (Cadman 66).

SUBS NOT USED: McGill (GK), Garcia.

Advertisement block