Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


20 October 2015


  • Bobby Zamora comes off the bench to score a dramatic winner
  • Sam Baldock scores against his former club
  • Albion extend their unbeaten run to 12 games this season
  • The Seagulls are four points clear at the top of the Championship

Bobby Zamora came off the bench to score another dramatic winner for Brighton & Hove Albion, as the Seagulls recovered from a goal down to beat Bristol City 2-1 at the Amex.

The legendary Albion frontman’s strike after 82 minutes was met with a thunderous noise from the Amex faithful, as the 34-year-old repeated his feat from Leeds United on Saturday to secure another 2-1 win for Chris Hughton’s men.

The Albion manager made one change from the win at Elland Road as Uwe Huenemeier came in to replace the injured Gordon Greer.

Former Albion winger and Norwich City loanee Elliott Bennett began the match for the Robins - returning to the Amex for the first time since his loan spell last season.

Albion created their first opportunity when Tomer Hemed rose highest in the box but saw his header go wide of the far post.

Beram Kayal’s searching ball into the box almost found Sam Baldock, but was deflected behind for a corner.

Yet despite a promising start, it was City who took the lead in the 18th minute when Derrick Williams fired the ball home from Jonathan Kodjia’s cross; the Robins’ first goal in five meetings with the Albion.

Williams attempted to double his tally just moments later with a speculative strike from distance, but this time David Stockdale was on hand to make a left-handed save.

The Seagulls almost brought parity to the scoreline when Baldock saw his shot saved by City keeper Frank Fielding, before Dale Stephens’s strike on the follow-up was deflected wide.

Albion came within inches of wiping out Bristol City’s lead as Baldock raced towards goal, only to see his chipped finish cleared off the line by Luke Ayling.

Hughton’s men had another golden opportunity to equalise right on half-time when Solly March found Hemed in space, but the latter’s shot produced a fine low save by Fielding.

The Robins had the ball in the net within the first 60 seconds after the re-start, as Kodjia fired his shot past Stockdale with a clinical finish, but the effort was ruled out for offside.

But it was the Seagulls that deservedly struck next, as Baldock reacted quickest to slide home Bruno’s drilled cross from the right-hand side.

The visitors were denied a penalty just before the hour mark, when Luke Freeman went down inside the area after a challenge from Huenemeier. Despite City’s appeals, Freeman was adjudged to have dived and

received a yellow card from referee Iain Williamson.

The lively Kodjia was next to test Stockdale with a looping strike from the edge of the box, but the Albion shot-stopper produced an excellent save to tip the effort over the bar.

Kodjia had another chance to regain the lead for the Robins, but Stockdale again saved the striker’s effort with his outstretched leg.

Albion came close to netting the second decisive goal when Gaetan Bong made a jinking run on the left and found March, but the referee stopped play for Baldock’s foul on the keeper.

Yet for the second time in four days, Zamora came off the bench to score Albion’s winner in emphatic fashion in the 82nd minute.

The forward initially teed up Stephens for a shot,  but the ball fell back into his path, and he took a touch before rifling past Fielding.

The majority of the 23,181 fans packed inside the Amex roared as Albion claimed three more crucial points to march on at the top of the league.


1901 Club Lottery

£1000 Jackpot 84191
£100 Superstore Voucher 82217
Magnum of Champagne 83155
Bottle of Champagne 84770
Bottle of Champagne 84052

Albion Hat-trick

1st prize- £400 2695
2nd prize- £50  2192
3rd prize- £25  5192

1st Goal Time 17 min

Advertisement block