Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


15 August 2015


  • Albion top of the Championship
  • Tomer Hemed hits 93rd minute winner from penalty spot
  • Sam Baldcok put Albion ahead in first half
  • Tom Cairney screamer for hosts made it 1-1
A dramatic injury-time penalty by Tomer Hemed secured Brighton & Hove Albion all three points at Craven Cottage.

With the game heading for a 1-1 draw, substitue Jake Forster-Caskey played a superb ball into the path of Kazenga LuaLua, only for the livewire winger to be felled by Shaun Hutchinson inside the box.

Referee Neil Swarbrick had no hesitation pointing to the spot and Hemed coolly tucked home the winner to send the travelling Seagulls fans into raptures.

Albion had started the game at a blistering pace and came close to breaking the deadlock as early as the fourth minute when Bruno's cross from the right was met first-time by Hemed - only for the striker's effort to cannon off the crossbar.

Backed by a vociferous away following, Albion continued to dominate the opening spells with LuaLua trying his luck from distance while Solly March looked lively on the right flank.

Fulham's first foray forward came in the 24th minute when Ben Pringle played a ball over the top of the Albion defence, but David Stockdale was out quickly to gather at the feet of Matt Smith.

Tom Cairney also flashed an effort over for the hosts but Albion looked solid at the back with debutant Uwe Huenemeier settling very well.

Albion took a deserved lead on the 30-minute mark when Bruno played a low, teasing ball into the box and Sam Baldock swept home his first of the season.

The Seagulls continued to crank up the pressure with LuaLua's shot deflecting wide for a comer while March tried his luck from distance.

Yet despite the visitors' domination, Fulham were handed a route back into the game two minutes before the break when Tom Cairney delightfully curled home from the edge of the box.

Smith then had Albion hearts in mouths when he rose in the box, only to see his header come back off the base of a post.

The second half began with Albion again in the ascendancy and Baldock saw a close-range effort from March's cross diverted onto a post and away for a corner.

LuaLua also saw a trademark drive flash wide while at the other end Stockdale made a good reaction save to tip a close-range effort from Smith over the bar.

With 20 minutes remaining, the game started to open up as both sides pressed for a winner.

Baldock showed good feet but his effort from the edge of the box was comfortably saved by Marcus Bettinelli while Smith was again foiled by Stockdale.

Fulham started to up their game with Smith seeing another header drift wide, and Albion boss Chris Hughton responded by bringing Rohan Ince into midfield in place of Baldock.

March was replaced by ex-Cottager Liam Rosenior while Foster-Caskey replaced Dale Stephens but the game looked to be petering out to its conclusion.

However, with 93 minutes on the clock, Albion netted the winner making it three wins in a week and  the side sitting top of the league.

Advertisement block