Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 April 2015


  • Tim Chow and James Perch with the goals for Wigan.
  • Dale Stephens fired home an equaliser in the 55th minute.
  • Kazenga LuaLua came close twice in the second half.
  • Albion 20th and six points clear of the bottom three.

Brighton & Hove Albion still have more work to do in their bid to beat the drop, following a 2-1 defeat to Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium.

The result leaves Albion in 20th and six points clear of Millwall in the relegation zone, who still have a game in hand following a 0-0 draw with Cardiff.

Chris Hughton made four changes to the side that drew 0-0 with Huddersfield on Tuesday night, as Craig Mackail-Smith, Kazenga LuaLua, Danny Holla and Gordon Greer replaced Leon Best, Mustapha Carayol, Joao Teixeira and Lewis Dunk.

Albion created a chance inside the opening minute, when Bruno found Mackail-Smith with a quickly-taken throw in, but Scott Carson made a low save down to his left-hand side to deny the forward.

The Seagulls came close again when Stephens latched onto Holla’s in-swinging corner, but the midfielder’s effort bounced up and over the goal.

But Wigan broke the deadlock in the 28th minute, as Tim Chow met a cross from the right-hand side and placed his header beyond the outstretched David Stockdale to score on his home debut.

Albion almost struck an immediate response though, when Beram Kayal worked himself into space only to see his low drive tipped onto the post by Scott Carson.

Stockdale then had to be alert to again to deny William Kvist from distance, and made an excellent one-on-one save to keep out James McClean and hold the deficit at one going into the break.

Substitute Chris O’Grady came on to replace Mackail-Smith following the break and had the first chance of the second half, after seeing his shot blocked following a pass from Inigo Calderon.

The Seagulls brought parity to the scoreline ten minutes after the restart though, when Holla’s corner was floated into the box and Stephens lost his marker to fire the ball past Carson; ending Albion’s run of four games without a goal.

LuaLua could have added a second goal just seconds later only to see his low strike go narrowly wide of Carson’s right-hand post.

Albion had further chances to take the lead, as Holla’s deep free-kick into the box was met by the onrushing Calderon, but the Spaniard could not trouble Carson.

LuaLua had another opportunity to fire Albion in front following a through-ball by Stephens, but the Congolese winger dragged a left-footed strike wide.

Joe Bennett cut inside from the left and attempted to squeeze a shot beyond Carson, but the Wigan shot-stopper was on hand to keep the scores level.

But the hosts re-took the lead in the 81st minute, as substitute Marc Antoine-Fortune escaped down the right-hand side and saw his cross poked over the line by James Perch.

Substitute Carayol could have earned the Seagulls a point deep into injury time after a long throw from Greg Halford, but the Middlesbrough loanee saw his shot blocked and the Latics claimed all three points.

Advertisement block