Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


6 April 2015


  • Lewis Dunk returned to the starting line-up after Gordon Greer began his two-game suspension.
  • Mustapha Carayol makes his full Albion debut.
  • The Seagulls lose their first-ever match at the New York Stadium.
  • Albion slip down to 18th after Huddersfield recorded a 2-1 win against high-flying Ipswich.

Brighton & Hove Albion slipped to their second-successive 1-0 defeat in three days, as Matt Derbyshire’s strike gave Rotherham all three points at the New York Stadium.
Chris Hughton made three changes to the side that lost to Norwich City on Good Friday and opted to remain with the 4-3-3 system that was deployed three days ago.
Lewis Dunk returned to the starting line-up having served a two-match ban, replacing the suspended Gordon Greer, while Kazenga LuaLua and debutant Mustapha Carayol came in for Inigo Calderon and Joao Teixeira respectively.
Steve Evans’s side took the lead after just eight minutes, when Matt Derbyshire drilled in a Jordan Bowery delivery at David Stockdale’s near post.
Dale Stephens had Albion's first chance of the afternoon after he whipped in an inviting free-kick from 25 yards out which sailed over the Rotherham defence, but Damian Martinez punched it away from danger.
LuaLua then fired in a cross from the centre of the park only for Martinez to jump up into the air to collect the ball, wiping out Greg Halford in the process, who clambered back up onto his feet to play on.
Three minutes prior to the interval, Carayol cut in from the right flank and fed in Joe Bennett, who dummied the Millers defence to take a low-angled shot, but Martinez collected with ease.
Albion dominated the majority of the second-half and eight minutes after the restart, Bennett’s tantalising corner missed Rohan Ince by inches while Martinez was caught off guard, flapping away the delivery to the best of his abilities.
On the hour mark, Leon Best’s delivery was then nearly turned into the back of the home net by Bowery.
With 19 minutes remaining on the clock, Stockdale pulled off a tremendous save to deny Derbyshire, immediately followed by a diving defensive header up the other end from Danny Lafferty to cancel out Bruno’s chances of latching onto the ball. LuaLua then fired a follow-up strike inches wide of the target.

In the dying moments, Derbyshire attempted to double Rotherham’s advantage and find a brace with a low effort in a one-on-one scenario with Stockdale, but the Albion keeper came out on top.

Advertisement block