Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


12 November 2014


Davis '90+4, '95


Wiltshire '58

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-21s were knocked out of the Parafix Sussex Senior Cup, as Lewes recovered from a goal down to claim a dramatic 2-1 extra-time victory at the Dripping Pan.

Cameron Wiltshire’s close-range strike in the 58th minute was almost enough to send Simon Ireland’s side through, but Tom Davis’s brace saw the Rooks progress into the third round.

The Seagulls had a chance to break the deadlock inside the opening minute when Shamir Fenelon raced down the right-hand side and saw his effort saved by Rikki Banks’s outstretched leg.

Nicky Wheeler then had a chance to strike for the hosts, as his effort from distance took a wicked deflection and narrowly rose over the frame of the goal.

Simon Ireland’s side also had chances when Jesse Starkey’s free kick forced a save from Banks before Jimmy Muitt shot just past the post with an attempt from distance.

There were further opportunities for both sides in an exciting end to the half, as Nathan Crabb turned inside the box but sent his shot over the crossbar, while Leroy Griffiths almost found Ollie Rowe before Albion cleared the danger.

Dylan Barnett then whipped a dangerous ball into the box that went across the face of the Lewes goal before going behind.


The Rooks came within inches of scoring just after the restart, as Sam Cole’s effort hit the crossbar before Harry Doherty made a stunning save to tip Tom Davis’s rebounded shot to safety.

Albion then went ahead, when Fenelon charged down the right-hand side and his cross-field pass found Wiltshire, whose shot went in off the far post to give Albion the lead.

Lewes were dealt a further blow when captain Matt Crabb was forced off injured with what appeared to be a deep cut to the leg.

But the hosts were not deterred by the setbacks and put the Albion defence under some considerable pressure in their search for an equaliser.

Josh Marshall’s tame effort found Griffiths inside the box, but the forward slipped at the vital moment and allowed Albion to clear their lines.

Substitute James Stinson then saw his header cleared off the line at the near post, before another replacement, Elliott Romain almost made an immediate impact only to see his shot hit the side netting.

Doherty was then called into action once again and produced an outstanding save to tip over Nathan Crabb’s header.

Just as Albion were heading for a hard-fought victory, Lewes were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box and Davis fired the ball home in the last kick of normal time.

The Rooks then completed the turnaround five minutes into extra time, as Davis struck again with a blistering strike from distance to beat a motionless Doherty.

Romain could have added extra gloss to the scoreline five minutes before full time in extra time, but the deficit remained at one and Lewes went into round three.

ALBION: Doherty; Barry, Dallison, Barclay, Barnett; Deen (Kandi 58), Wiltshire (Collar 77), Harris; Fenelon (Cole 73), Muitt, Starkey. Subs not used: Vose (GK), Davis.



SaturDAY 29TH November, KICK-OFF 3PM

ALBION V millwall

friday 12th december, KICK-OFF 7:45PM

Albion v reading

friDAY 26TH decEMber, kick-off 3pm

Advertisement block