Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


12 November 2014

A Brighton & Hove Albion football steward who had a heart attack two weeks ago at the Amex Stadium has been reunited with those who saved his life.

Alan Latimer, 34, was at the ground preparing for Albion match against Rotherham United on Saturday 25th October when he started to feel unwell.

One of the steward supervisors radioed up to the control room, where a team of St John Ambulance volunteers had just arrived ahead of the game.

District manager Trevor Moss immediately sent three first aiders - Cynthia White, Sally Elliott and trainee Melody Welch - to give Alan oxygen and called 999.

South East Coast Ambulance paramedic practitioner, Richard Harding, arrived at the stadium just minutes later and was joined by A&E consultant and lead crowd doctor Rob Galloway, critical care paramedic Mark Lilley and clinical operations manager Jon Morris, who were all on duty for the game.

Alan was taken under the care of the SECAmb team - who had been joined at the scene by ambulance crew Caroline Holland and Ross Butler - as a priority patient to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton, where he underwent surgery to have two stents fitted. 


Alan returned to the stadium to meet the team who saved his life at the Blackburn Rovers game on Saturday, and told, “I can't remember much of what happened that day, but I’d like to say thank you to all involved and I’m so glad to still be alive.”

Dr Galloway said, “It was the high level of skill of the St John Ambulance first aiders to realise the level of seriousness and start immediate first aid, including oxygen and aspirin, that made the real difference.

“Soon after SECAmb and myself arrived, an ECG was done which showed he was having a very serious heart attack. We managed to give him GTN spray to open up his arteries and a cannula into the vein to give him morphine and then blue lighted him to the Royal Sussex County Hospital.

“The cardiologist were there waiting for him; he went straight to theatre to open up his blocked blood vessels. He was sitting up in bed about four hours after he left the stadium.”

Moss added, “This shows the importance of recognising these symptoms early in such a situation. It really can be the difference between a life lost and a life saved. It was wonderful to meet Alan and we wish him all the best for the future.”

For more information about St John Ambulance go to



SaturDAY 29TH November, KICK-OFF 3PM

ALBION V millwall

friday 12th december, KICK-OFF 7:45PM

Albion v reading

friDAY 26TH decEMber, kick-off 3pm

Advertisement block